1998 Elite SA50P Valve Adjustment

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

FredB32
BMX
BMX

1998 Elite SA50P Valve Adjustment

Post by FredB32 »

Hi everyone,

I don't think I'm just missing it, but there's no information on the valve clearance specs in the service manual I can find? How often should the valves on these things be checked/adjusted, and what are the clearance numbers?

Thanks!
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 1998 Elite SA50P Valve Adjustment

Post by Ben L. »

The owners manual will have info on service intervals. The service manual will run you thru it. By valves I’m assuming you mean replacing reed valves since were talking about a 2 stroke motor.
motormike

Post by motormike »

You seem to be missing the BIG picture FredB32.
Your scooter has a 2-stroke engine, which, by design, does not have "valves" as you find in 4-stroke engines.
Keep calm, and carry on....motor
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
FredB32
BMX
BMX

Post by FredB32 »

Duh...thanks guys. 2-strokes are not necessarily my specialty. I got bogged down watching a bunch of valve adjustment videos for mopeds on YouTube the last couple days and got to wondering lol...I actually do know better, but my brain has been a bit of a mess lately.

I guess while we're at it, since I have the cover mostly apart and checked the compression last night, is there anything else to look at or check/clean up while I'm there? Looks like just the 4 bolts to remove the...port cover, I guess?
motormike

Post by motormike »

If the square, finned item with a spark plug in it is what you are calling "port cover",
NO...that is the cylinder head. You could remove it and de-carbon the top of the piston and the inner surface of the head,
but you really should replace the head gasket if you do that.
Attachments
AF05E.jpg
AF05E.jpg (7.19 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
FredB32
BMX
BMX

Post by FredB32 »

Thanks Mike - that's essentially what I was referring to. Seeing as how this is a 1998 model it might not be the worst thing to do, but since the compression is good I'm also thinking it might not be worth the effort. Tested out at 130 psi yesterday, so internally things should be good.