2000 Elite S

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

2000 Elite S

Post by kleinlogan »

Hello all, I bought a 2000 sa50p I know this only because I looked up the vin. I wanna get this thing tuned right as the last owners couldn't. It runs great untill 15 mph and wants to die out. It had oil dripping out of the air box when I opened it up... So I though to much oil not enough gas and messed with the settings on the screws but nothing. Returned it to factory specs and now I'm at square one.
kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Re: 2000 Elite S

Post by kleinlogan »

There also is an oil pump on it without a split throttle cable? This is the restricted model so how would I go about u restricting it would I then need the split throttle cable?
FredB32
BMX
BMX

Post by FredB32 »

You may want to wait until one of the more advanced tinkerers chimes in, but from what I've seen/read there are a couple of ways to do it without the cable: switch to mixed fuel/oil mixture in the tank (you'd need to plug the oil inlet I believe...probably not the best way to explain it) or you can tie the oil pump wide open as well.
kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Post by kleinlogan »

Well I want it to run good past 15 mile an hour and not blow up bc Its running to lean.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hello Mr. kleinlogan... :hi:
You mention oil dripping from the airbox.
That would indicate an oil pump that is failing to hold back the oil when scooter is at rest.
This is a common issue. Some of that oil is likely getting into the crankcase and exhaust pipe also.
I assume the scooter has seen a lot of dormant sitting around, thus increasing the likelihood that oil
is now the culprit in your running issue. My first step would be removing the exhaust pipe and checking
for the presence of oil there. Then remove the carburetor and reed block to check for oil in the crankcase.
You may need to remove the oil from the crankcase by suction. A common "turkey baster"with an attached hose can be used effectively.
I'm not very familiar with the oil pump construction, but I've seen others mention an "O-ring" in the pump that fails and allows this to happen.
One other possible reason for not being able to get past 15mph could be a "bystarter" that is failing to shut down gas flow after initial warm-up.
This causes a "too rich" issue that will keep the engine from attaining full revs.
Be sure the air filter element is not soaked too heavily in oil, seems likely here.
Tell us what you find and good luck sir....motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Post by kleinlogan »

So I took the carb off last night and the thing was covered in oil. Also it destroyed the air filter so a new one is on the way. The previous owner put a new carburetor on it thinking that was the problem. But Im thinking I'm going to just order a new oil pump, I plan on derestricting it, should I get the bigger one I've read about on here? I'm not really sure on what to get/do I need a bigger main jet in the carb?
Also thanks for the reply I'm trying to learn all about this motor as I'm used to gy6 modding.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Post some pix of the carb, intake, reeds, so we can see what you've got.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Post by kleinlogan »

motormike wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:17 pm Post some pix of the carb, intake, reeds, so we can see what you've got.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/b1jpXQyF98Po

Here's the pictures. No oil in bottom end and only slight oil in carb. I replaced the o-ring in the pump just in case I don't see how that o-ring can let oil leak into the bottom end. Maybe it just needs a carb adjustment.
kleinlogan
Noob
Noob

Post by kleinlogan »

I ended up buying a delete kit for the oil pump and jet kit for the carb. As I plan on derestricting it.
FredB32
BMX
BMX

Post by FredB32 »

"I ended up buying a delete kit for the oil pump and jet kit for the carb. As I plan on derestricting it."

What were the symptoms you were experiencing? I'm thinking this is a possibility based on what I've found so far...