87 af05 bkk carburetor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

TheBadger
Noob
Noob

87 af05 bkk carburetor

Post by TheBadger »

I’m brand new to older 2t Honda scooters. I have a 84 Honda aero I got from a buddy with a fresh 87 elite af05 that’s ported and has a malossi 70cc kit. It still has the stock carb and the stock exhaust. Right now it doesn’t have an air box. But I’m planning on using the stock air box as well. My questions are what jetting do you recommend? should I run an aftermarket carburetor if so what size and brand do you suggest? Should I modify the air box or run a filter? And what variator and clutch would you run? I appreciate any info.
bonesv

Re: 87 af05 bkk carburetor

Post by bonesv »

TheBadger wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:09 am I’m brand new to older 2t Honda scooters. I have a 84 Honda aero I got from a buddy with a fresh 87 elite af05 that’s ported and has a malossi 70cc kit. It still has the stock carb and the stock exhaust. Right now it doesn’t have an air box. But I’m planning on using the stock air box as well. My questions are what jetting do you recommend? should I run an aftermarket carburetor if so what size and brand do you suggest? Should I modify the air box or run a filter? And what variator and clutch would you run? I appreciate any info.
Hey Badger, being new to this you may first want to not run the scooter until you do these things you have mentioned. The air box is critical if the stock carburetor has not been upjetted, and I would not run an aftermarket "larger" carb unless you also upgrade to a better tuned exhaust pipe. The stock pipe is tuned to the stock cylinder and carb so try to get that air box WITH an oiled air filter installed, check the jet size, and be sure there are no air leaks at the exhaust pipe connection to the cylinder or at the air box connection to the carburetor as these are critical points of unwanted air into the motor. I believe the stock main jet is about an 88 or possibly an 85-not sure but you could look it up in the service manual.
Tuning the belt drive is tricky so do the air box and carburetor stuff first and then when you are certain there are no problems with the motor operating well, come back for more info on the clutch and variator setup. Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
TheBadger
Noob
Noob

Re: 87 af05 bkk carburetor

Post by TheBadger »

Awesome! That was my plan. I am not new to scooters or cvt tuning luckily. I have a few metropolitan and ruckus’s. But I have never owned a 2t scooter. I appreciate the advice.