Please forgive a noob on temperature questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tungxvu
Noob
Noob

Please forgive a noob on temperature questions

Post by tungxvu »

I am really new to these 2-stroke engines, and I have a couple of noob questions:

I have a 87 Spree that my friend gave to me. Here are the things we did to the bike.

a) My friend he installed a 48mm BBK he bought from Taz on Ebay. He did a very good job installing it since we got a compression of about 132psi.

b) I installed the jet (#90???) that Taz sent with the kit.

c) My friend already cut three one-inch-diameter holes on the airbox lid and retained the filter.

d) We did not modify the gears at all, but did a 128:1 premix in the gas tank and retained the oil injection pump.

Anyways, here are my questions:

1) The bike seems to bog down and * a little at around 20mph, and it will top out at about 24mph. I had to open up the air mixture screw a couple of turns, and the symptoms lessened significantly, but were not completely eliminated. The (new) plug seems to be running a bit rich since it looks kind of wet and black.

2) I started blocking off the three one-inch-diameter holes on the airbox lid, and found that reducing them to 1/2" in diameter would be much better. The bike can do about 32mph now and the hesitation/* is gone. However, another new spark plug still looks a bit wet and black.

3) I installed a temperature gauge - the type with a ring underneath the spark plug - and found that the bike is running at around 280F. Is this temperature OK, or is it an indication of a too-rich condition. Will it hurt anything if I keep running it at this lower temperature?

Thank you very much and please go easy on the new guy :newb: :newb:
1987 Honda Spree
Westminster, California
bonesv

Re: Please forgive a noob on temperature questions

Post by bonesv »

It sounds like you have everything correct but there may be a bit of a rich condition caused by the exhaust pipe possibly being a little clogged up? Can you verify the pipe as completely clean and un-clogged by oil/soot buildup? You could try running a hotter spark plug to help burn off the excess oil/rich condition? Are you running NGK spark plug? BR6HS? That should be correct plug. Your temps are on the cool side as 375-390 will be overheating. Maybe an actual Spree BBK owner/operator will chime in to help? Welcome to the Forum!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
tungxvu
Noob
Noob

Post by tungxvu »

Hi Bonesv,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am running the NGK BR8HS. I have no idea what the difference is between that and the BR6HS plug except that the service manual calls for either one of them.

As for the exhaust pipe, when I shake it a lot of particles came out. I did the best I could but there does not seem to be a way to get rid of all the junk in there. Since my neighbor is a welder, I am thinking about cutting open the side to remove the soot and then ask him to weld it back together.

Thanks again and best regards
1987 Honda Spree
Westminster, California
motormike

Post by motormike »

tungxvu wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:21 pm

As for the exhaust pipe, when I shake it a lot of particles came out. I did the best I could but there does not seem to be a way to get rid of all the junk in there. Since my neighbor is a welder, I am thinking about cutting open the side to remove the soot and then ask him to weld it back together.

NO ! !....don't cut it open.
Burn it out by putting it in a bonfire, or on an old gas grill.
Once it has burned all the oil and carbon build-up, it will rinse out with a garden hose.
Some mild tapping might aid in the loosening of the burnt residue.
This method is covered in the "Wikispreedia" found on this board.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
tungxvu
Noob
Noob

Post by tungxvu »

Thank you, Mike
1987 Honda Spree
Westminster, California