1986 Spree NQ50 Starter Wont Stop

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tookis
Noob
Noob

1986 Spree NQ50 Starter Wont Stop

Post by tookis »

Good day all,

I finally decided to pull out the ol Spree from the garage. Its been sitting for many years now and will be a nice summer project for me. Anyway, this is what's going on - the battery is completely dead (won't take a charge from my battery charger either) so I used the jump function on the battery charger to turn the Spree over. It worked well for a few tries starting and then on my last try the starter would not stop without disconnecting the battery charger. The new battery arrived and I hooked it up, same issue - the starter keeps running until I un hook the battery. It keeps running with the key turned off, brake not depressed and even when the kill switch is off. Any ideas what is causing this? Did I fry something when I jumped it?

Thanks!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1986 Spree NQ50 Starter Wont Stop

Post by mousewheels »

Any ideas what is causing this?
A starter relay with contacts stuck is a good place to check.
Over time there is metal transfer to one contact and pitting of the other. The contacts can become mechanically stuck by the build up. They can also be 'welded' in a small area by a high current arc.

Unplug the relay for a quick test, the starter of course should no longer run at all. If the relay is stuck, you may be able to work to cover off the starter relay, unstick the contacts and file them. That should get the relay working until it is replaced.