Starts, won't stay running

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kbeforea
Noob
Noob

Starts, won't stay running

Post by Kbeforea »

My 1986 Honda Spree won't start unless I spray some starting fluid in the carb, then it starts for a second, dies right away and won't start again. Thank you for your help ^-^

Also leaks some gas afterwards
motormike

Re: Starts, won't stay running

Post by motormike »

The practical first step is to remove the carburetor, disassemble it, clean thoroughly, verify ALL passages and jets are open and flowing.
Assuming this scooter is new to you and/or has been sitting dormant for some time.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Kbeforea
Noob
Noob

Post by Kbeforea »

So I'm trying to get the carb off and I just cant figure out how to disconnect this electrical connector.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Kbeforea wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:12 am So I'm trying to get the carb off and I just cant figure out how to disconnect this electrical connector.
That's an extremely simple operation.
Are you really prepared to take on a carb-cleaning?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Kbeforea
Noob
Noob

Post by Kbeforea »

Yes Mike I'm an intelligent young women and a very quick learner I just need a little help.

I can pull the connector part way off but it's obviously being held up like a spring or something
Kbeforea
Noob
Noob

Post by Kbeforea »

This is what I'm stuck on.
Attachments
20210522_145508.jpg
20210522_145508.jpg (325.99 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
Kbeforea
Noob
Noob

Post by Kbeforea »

The bystarter, I read on here someone else accidentally ripped there's off trying to take it apart and I'm trying to be more careful than that
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The bystarter is held into the carb by a metal “C” shaped tab that is fastened by two phillips screws. Remove the tab then just twist and pull up. The wire connector on the other end has a plastic tab you need to pry up while pulling the plug apart. Its so simple a chimpanzee could do it. If either of these are too difficult to figure out...put the tools down, stand up and slowly back away from the scooter before you hurt yourself.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Also, thats not a genuine OEM Keihin carb. Looks like a cheap $10 ebay special. Good luck getting that to ever run right.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

EDIT: all joking aside...your issue may be in the carburetor itself. Using a replacement carb is a total crapshoot. Few are decent but most are total garbage. Loose tooling tolerances during mass production in an attempt to manufacture the cheapest possible product result in huge inconsistencies. The delicate balance of fuel/air delivery is a precise mixture with very little margin for error. Ive worked on scooters with cheapo carbs and they are a constant nightmare that never really run right. Sure, you can get them to run...but not good or for very long. The old saying “ya get what ya pay for” applies here.
Kbeforea
Noob
Noob

Post by Kbeforea »

Meatball wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:50 pm The bystarter is held into the carb by a metal “C” shaped tab that is fastened by two phillips screws. Remove the tab then just twist and pull up. The wire connector on the other end has a plastic tab you need to pry up while pulling the plug apart. Its so simple a chimpanzee could do it. If either of these are too difficult to figure out...put the tools down, stand up and slowly back away from the scooter before you hurt yourself.
Yeah I got it off the c thing was already off it when I asked, if you're not going to be nice could you not comment pls
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

With the hold down clamp removed (as you have already done), the bystarter is only held by friction of the o-ring seal. Just gently pull the bystarter.

If it moves a bit and then feels hung up - then there may be an obstruction holding back the brass collar (air control valve slide) or needle of the bystarter. When that occurs further pulling can break the bystarter.

What breaks in the bystarter is the plastic fingers which retain the needle and brass collar (air valve):
Broken_fingers.JPG
Broken_fingers.JPG (19.68 KiB) Viewed 3006 times