1984 Gyro inlet manifold gasket

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Evan79
Noob
Noob

1984 Gyro inlet manifold gasket

Post by Evan79 »

:newb: my dad had a 1984 gyro stored away that hasn’t run in 20 years. I found a gas leak because of no gasket between the carb and inlet manifold. Does anyone know where I could get one of these? Or atleast a size if that’s how they are referred to. I pulled carb apart and not too gunky. Still gotta clean that out too.

Also, does anyone know how to get the jet tubes out to clean in the carb??
Last edited by Evan79 on Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan79
Noob
Noob

Re: 1984 Gyro inlet manifold gasket

Post by Evan79 »

There was probably no gasket because my older brother and a neighbor were * with it when they were teenagers so I’m assuming they forgot it
motormike

Post by motormike »

There's NO "gasket", but there is an O-ring on the flange.
To remove "emulsifer tube", simply push down on it with a tool through the slide chamber after removing the main jet.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Evan79
Noob
Noob

Post by Evan79 »

motormike wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm There's NO "gasket", but there is an O-ring on the flange.
To remove "emulsifer tube", simply push down on it with a tool through the slide chamber after removing the main jet.
I have an o ring on flange, I just thought metal to metal needed some sort of “crush washer” sorry this is my first time realy tearing something apart.

I have good compression, I have spark, new battery, starter works. It’ll start with starting fluid but dies out when that’s all gone. And just put new oil in it. I’ve checked my bystarter with the 12v battery and it worked.

Anything you know of that could help?

Could it be that the o ring is bad?

The gasket for air intake cleaner to the carb is pretty chewed up too. Idk if that plays much of a factor or not either
motormike

Post by motormike »

With the carburetor off the bike, bowl off, you should be able to take a spray can of carb-cleaner, insert tube into the pilot jet tube and spray. (WEAR safety glasses!!!) Observe down through the throat of the carb and verify that spray is coming through the pilot. With the air-mixture screw taken out, repeat the process and observe. If you can achieve this, your idling troubles are almost solved. One other important orifice is the jet that feed gas into the by-starter reservoir. Tiny hole inside the bowl into the chamber that the tube for by-starter sticks into. Spray to verify open. These teeny holes are sometime plugged with corrosion that is much like cement. Could take several attempts to open plugged ones, and will never operate right without being clear. Get it on pilgrim. Let us know what shakes out....motor... :urban:
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

YES, that gasket into the airbox plays a very important factor in proper vacuum.
I have a spare airbox I'd let you have. Gasket is probably good, Id have to check.
RideRed
Evan79
Noob
Noob

Post by Evan79 »

motormike wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:57 am With the carburetor off the bike, bowl off, you should be able to take a spray can of carb-cleaner, insert tube into the pilot jet tube and spray. (WEAR safety glasses!!!) Observe down through the throat of the carb and verify that spray is coming through the pilot. With the air-mixture screw taken out, repeat the process and observe. If you can achieve this, your idling troubles are almost solved. One other important orifice is the jet that feed gas into the by-starter reservoir. Tiny hole inside the bowl into the chamber that the tube for by-starter sticks into. Spray to verify open. These teeny holes are sometime plugged with corrosion that is much like cement. Could take several attempts to open plugged ones, and will never operate right without being clear. Get it on pilgrim. Let us know what shakes out....motor... :urban:
That would be awesome if you’re actually willing to give air cleaner up. I can shoot some money your way for it as well.

Thank you for your wisdom lol, can I just soak it in carb cleaner or is that not a good idea? Are these o ring gaskets supposed to be stiff? I feel like every o ring I’ve come across before was nice and soft?
motormike

Post by motormike »

Before soaking anything, start by taking the carb off, removing the bowl, and judging the level of trash, debris, and corrosion.
Continue to dis-assemble the carb completely. Remove float and needle, main jet, emulsifier tube, mixture screw (careful to note the presence of spring, washer, o-ring), throttle-stop screw. Using spry-can carb-cleaner(safety glasses) test every jet and passage to confirm flow. Any plugged passage or jet will need probe with wire to remove obstruction. I use "jet files" made specifically for jet cleaning. You can substitute guitar string but it must be very tiny diameter to clear the pilot jet. Always finish by spraying to verify flow. Even at 68 years old, I sometimes need to repeat the whole process 3-4 times if I don't check flow before re-assembly. CHECK THE FLOW.....motor
And yes, I will send you a private message with my Paypal address and instructions.(AFTER I check that airbox and make sure it has a good seal to the carb.)
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

No chance to check that airbox today, sorry.
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

Sorry to report, my spare airbox does not have the seal you need.
Goods news though. Our own member "bonesv" has some Gyro parts available, and that seal is very likely in there.
i will send bonesv a message and have him check in here.
RideRed
Evan79
Noob
Noob

Post by Evan79 »

Much appreciated for your time, wisdom, and effort!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I will look thru my parts and try to help if I can. 🤩
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

BDC6285B-E3AD-49A4-AE2A-0DC4ACB63A3D.jpeg
BDC6285B-E3AD-49A4-AE2A-0DC4ACB63A3D.jpeg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
Is this the part?
Attachments
07D458C5-F0B6-47D6-845A-B22087D021A8.png
07D458C5-F0B6-47D6-845A-B22087D021A8.png (277.59 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Evan79
Noob
Noob

Post by Evan79 »

Yes sir that would be it! 🤠
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Pm sent
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX