Installed New Carb, Still Won’t Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Tben503
Noob
Noob

Installed New Carb, Still Won’t Start

Post by Tben503 »

Bought myself a 1985 Spree and need some advice. I broke the plastic on the throttle where it connects to the carb so bought a new carburetor altogether. Took the old one off and installed the new one, got everything connected but it still won’t start. It’ll crank but won’t turn over. My bf thinks something isn’t right with where the pin is connected at the top but I’m hoping someone can tell me what I’m missing or what may be the reason it’s still not starting. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! :coolcruise:
Attachments
A3FBE385-FE67-43C9-BF96-54F9B462D1E4.jpeg
A3FBE385-FE67-43C9-BF96-54F9B462D1E4.jpeg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Installed New Carb, Still Won’t Start

Post by vintagegarage »

Step one is to unscrew the lower screw on the bottom of the float bowl until it almost falls out and see if any gasoline runs out. Report back on what you find. Then screw the screw back into place.

While waiting for the answer to number 1, using your fingers, unscrew the finned aluminum cap on the top of the carb that the throttle cable passes through. Then lift that cap up slightly without pulling the throttle slide out of the carb, and using an eyedropper, put about 3 tablespoons of gasoline and a few drops of oil into the top of the carb between that cap and the carb body, in otherwords, right into the slide. It will drain on it's own out the bottom of the slide and into the carb venturi. Then screw the cap back on and hit the starter and report back what happens.