stock 86 spree flintstone launch

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

skidmore
Noob
Noob

stock 86 spree flintstone launch

Post by skidmore »

!st time posting here. I have a 1986 spree, stock all the way. runs well (tops out 30/32 mph) idle mixture screw seems to work as it should (about 1 1/4 turns to best idle) idles nice , starts good too. Problem is that it has considerably more low end when cold started(choke on?) After it warms up the low end (take off) becomes sluggish - like it helps to perform the flintstone launch. It's really just off the line, seems to pull decent anywhere above 5-10 mph. To me that would indicate that the pilot circuit is lean but I hear that it is a fixed (non-replaceable) jet? clutch? clutch springs? etc? Anyone have any experience with these symptoms? I do have a set of jet reamers but really do not want to go there/do that without a bit more info. Any input would be appreciated.
motormike

Re: stock 86 spree flintstone launch

Post by motormike »

Yes, very simply, when first started, the cold engine has more compression than when warm.
This translates to more power when cold. Once the engines gets hot, compression decreases,
and power is diminished as well. That's my best understanding of the scenario you are experiencing.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Dont do any jet reaming. Pull your bell and see if the clutch pads are shot.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

My guess is clutch pads are worn. As they heat up from riding, they lose gripping power if worn, check them out and have the clutch repadded if needed.
skidmore
Noob
Noob

Post by skidmore »

Thanks guys, I think it does have some sort of clutching issue. I LIGHTLY sanded the shoes and the bell. Showed some improvement. Might try a bit heavier on the sanding finish... Little bit at a time. To me, the pads did not look worn, just really shiny, Not sure what new pad thickness is. Thanks again guys, I'll peck away at it until I find out what too much is.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The belt may also be below the service limit width. Check the service manual for this limit and measure belt width with a micrometer. (Cheap $15 at Harbor Freight if you dont have) They get thinner as they wear and also stretch a few mm’s. Any of these conditions would cause it to slip and be most prevalent during its heaviest load, take offs. Also, excessive slippage would also cause the belt to heat up and glaze the contact area of the “V”. Once this happens, bye bye grip…no matter if the width is fine.

Once its pulled apart its a good idea to clean all the pullies that contact the belt with Brakleen. Clutch dust, belt gunk and other road slime gets slung around in the belt cavity and can cause slippage as well. Also rough up the inner surface of the clutch bell a little with high grit sandpaper, then Brakleen. Those get a nasty glaze on them too and slippage (causing excessive heat) can sometimes be obvious by a pretty rainbow color on the outer surface of the bell.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

If the pads need re-padded, you can get it done here: https://www.jwpartsplus.com/jw-clutch-worx.html They have done 3 Sprees for me so far plus an extra clutch that I keep on my shelf for a spare. The new clutch pads are kevlar and grip real well. If you experience wheel spin after first installing them, this is absolutely normal as the new pads are so thick, they might slightly rub the bell. This will return to normal after around 50 miles or so and they have had some break in time. And, as Meatball suggested, change that belt out for a new one. Myself personally I only advocate using genuine Honda belts, but there are other compatible ones to be found. You'll notice a difference right away with these changes, not only will your top speed increase, so will the acceleration. I also recommend you buy a cheap tachometer. You don't need to mount it on the bike, just use it for tuning. Ride the bike around the block a few times till it's warmed up. Put the tires up off the ground, then adjust the fast idle to 1800rpm. This is spec. I find it's easiest to turn the idle screw down to where the bike almost dies (usually around 1200 rpm), then lean it out 1/4 turn, wait 1 minute, and keep leaning till it doesn't stay running any more, go back the other way 1/2 to 3/4 a turn, then increase fast idle to 1800. You should have a real nice launch then. Plus with new pads and belt, a pretty decent top speed as well. You should be hitting around 32-33 on an 84-85', and 36-37+ on an 86-87'.. as long as you aren't too fat. :peace: