'96 Honda Elite 80 Fuel Line

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ReceiverHitch
Noob
Noob

'96 Honda Elite 80 Fuel Line

Post by ReceiverHitch »

Howdy!

I recently picked up a Honda Elite Ch 80 from 1996. Gorgeous scooter, less than 2000 miles and clean as a whistle! Only problem is a fuel line leak; the previous owner was too rough on it when they put it back together after cleaning the carburetor, there's a small hole spewing gas right where it connects to the nipple.

I was able to find parts online no problem, but I've reached out to every single scooter and motorcycle shop within the city of Chicago and they're all terrified to touch the d*** thing. These scooters are some of the most common in the US, why is everyone so afraid to touch it? :roll:

At this point I'm just considering trying to replace it myself, but I'm brand new to scooters and I've never replaced an automotive part before in my life. Any tips, pointers or tutorials anyone is willing to share? Wasn't able to find much on replacing fuel lines for these guys by searching on Google.
motormike

Re: '96 Honda Elite 80 Fuel Line

Post by motormike »

At the point of leaking, remove the line from the nipple.
Trim the split end of the line carefully.
Re-attach to nipple.
If line does not have enough length to trim and re-attach,
get new line at any hardware or automotive store and replace entirely.
Diameter is important, so be sure to replace with same.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ReceiverHitch
Noob
Noob

Post by ReceiverHitch »

Thanks! I will give that a go and post here if I run into amy problems.
ReceiverHitch
Noob
Noob

Post by ReceiverHitch »

Update:

Unfortunately even after following Motormike's advice, the fuel line just kept splitting because I think it was just too old. I ended up replacing it anyways using a generic hose I found at AutoZone. The outer diameter is .3 mm bigger than the original, so the hose clamps had to be reshaped to fit and now sit on there quite oddly, so I'll have to get new clamps at some point but they get the job done.

UNFORTUNATELY, NOW THE FLOAT CHAMBER IS FLOODING AND SPEWING GAS EVERYWHERE. After one or two times starting it up to try and figure out what was going on, the battery has now also died and so I'm going to AutoZone to get a charger. They're probably sick of seeing me by now.

Why would the float chamber be flooding? Tried whacking it a couple times and even bouncing the scoot to try and put things back in place but no luck.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Sounds like it has passed a bit of debris into the bowl and has the needle jammed open.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ReceiverHitch
Noob
Noob

Post by ReceiverHitch »

That's what I think too; rather than * around with the float chamber after an attempt at spraying cleaner through it did nothing, I ended up replacing the entire carburetor because it probably needed it anyways.

Did an oil change after that, now it runs even better than it did when I got it. Sounds like a brand new scoot. Very pleased!

Gonna take apart the old carburetor and see if I can't fix it so then I have a spare carburetor in the future if I ever need it. :P