86 Spree not turning over

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

86 Spree not turning over

Post by rkizewski@yahoo.com »

New to the forum. I haven't found this question asked before. Hopefully it is easy to answer.

The kickstart on the spree doesn't work. Turn key on and lights go on. I'd like to crank with the electric start but it seems that it won't crank if the oil reservoir is empty. Is there a way to bypass the sending unit in the tank?
:nerd: 1986 Honda Spree NQ50
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 86 Spree not turning over

Post by MrJumps »

If your oil res is dry, try to trunt he motor over by kicking it, if it doesn't budge, pull the cvt cover. If the belt is snapped it could be wrapped up in everything. But I have a feeling since your oil is dry it may be seized up... wish you luck my friend.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

Thanks for the reply.

No, the kickstart DOESN"T work at all. Not related to the current issue. The gear is bad. No big deal. I just want to crank / start it with the electric start.

I think the empty oil tank is preventing it from allowing the electric start from kicking in. At least, before I changed the cylinder and piston, it cranked. Since then, the oil leaked out.

Is there a way to bypass that sensor/sending unit in the oil tank to allow it to turn over with the electric start?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

No, the oil level sensor isn't the problem. All it does is turn on the low oil light. When you squeeze a brake lever, does the brake light light up? Also check the position of the kill switch on the right side of the handlebar.
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

Hi Vintage, thanks for the reply. I did figure out what was wrong with the spree not starting. It was the starter relay. Yup, I have a brake light as the left (rear) brake is locked in order to start. I also have the oil light lit on the instrument panel. And the kill switch is in the run position.

So, now I'm not getting any fire at the plug. I've tried swapping out the ignition coil and the cdi. I have a parts bike but really can't tell if the parts are good in either. How can I eliminate the potential electrical problems.

I'll look in the PDF in the meantime.

BTW, is anyone out there from central Wisconsin? Any help appreciated.
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

Looks like I need to study chapter 14. Still would be nice to get a second set of eyes and some advice from central Wisconsin. Any help very appreciated.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

No fire at the plug is very rare. No gasoline in the carb is very common. Leave the air filter box in place, and unscrew the cap (the part that the throttle cable runs through) on the top of the carb, and lift it up slightly without pulling out the slide. Then using an oil can, squirt three pumps of gasoline with a couple of drops of oil directly into the top of the slide. Then screw the cap back on the carb and try to start it. Report back what happens.
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

Thanks Vintage, I will look at this tonight.
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

Hi Vintage, no spitting or sputtering to indicate that it is firing and just not getting fuel. I have an inline spark tester, so I was pretty sure that it would do that. starting to test the cdi.
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

So I managed to get it to cough twice. I have a spare spree that is a 84 or 85 and I read something today about the pulse coil being a potential problem. The one off of the parts spree has two wires but I just grounded the extra wire, as the one from my spree has only one wire.

Making a little progress. Thanks for the help and any additional suggestions appreciated.
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

So when I got home from work today, I checked for spark and it seems strong and regular. I put everything back together up to the plastics. I've filled the oil reservoir and am up to getting an eye dropper so I can fill the tube from the oil pump to the carburetor tomorrow. I have a new battery on order and am hopefully close to starting the spree. I think the battery will arrive after the weekend.

I have had the back brake locked for quite a while. How do I free that up? Any suggestions?