Another Psycho Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Another Psycho Spree

Post by Volvo850R »

Hey guys. I have two Honda spree‘s one of them got running perfect. The other one on the other hand I just cannot figure out.
Gas tank clean and petcock
New fuel line and filter..New vacuum lines
New piston and rings ..Head gasket and base gasket with Hondabond..Carb clean with new o-rings…Reeds good,sealed with new gaskets/hondabond…also cooked the muffler clean and new gasket for that..New spark plugs and air filter.. two new crankshaft seals..new by starter..
No matter what I do the thing will still randomly stall and be a b**** to start. When cold usually starts fine….. can’t find any vacuum leak.. my next step is to crack the cases and resealed with Hondabond… anyone got any other ideas..?
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Another Psycho Spree

Post by Meatball »

Replace the fuel line with clear fuel tubing from the local auto parts store. Ride it with the plastic off. When it stalls, take a look at the line and see if theres fuel in it. I had intermittent petcock issues one time that drove me mad. It would randomly get stuck while riding and shut off the fuel supply but open up again when I restarted it.

If it got stuck real bad I had to suck hard on the vac hose to pop it back open. The petcocks work great…when they work.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

That was exactly my first thought got new petcock and clear line. I don’t have plastics on it.sometimes I’ll pop vacuum line off and suck and it will pump. Other times there fuel in the line.. I’m clueless
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

What are the odds the case leaks.? I’ve taken the engine off 3 times and checked it out no obviously visual leaks. I don’t have a pressure case tester.
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Odds are slim its the case, at least Ive never heard of or experienced it. Crank seals pop out, reed petals get stuck, petcocks go wonky as well as a few other hidden snags that happen. Have you pulled the flywheel to check that crank seal? Its really not acting like crank seal the way it runs…then dies. Sounds like fueling issue unless its an air leak causing a soft seize. Do enough poking around and you’ll find it. With mystery issues, I start eliminating possibilities by confirming with 100% certainty a component is good and then I move on. Once youve narrowed it down to possible part A,B and C you can swap the KNOWN WORKING parts from the running Spree you have to see if that works. I discovered a bad CDI this way once since you cant test it…just swap in a guaranteed good piece and try it.
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

I replaced both crank seals. I’ve literally been messing with this thing all summer for my son. I have a couple other vintage Honda scooters and I have no problems getting them to run. This thing is driving me crazy.. i’ve sealed everything with Honda bond except for the carb to manifold. I do have new rubber O-rings in the plastic spacer is correctly installed .. maybe I’ll add a little hondabond to those metal surfaces in there. Maybe drill out the new petcock and add a manual shut off for the fuel…. I also drilled a hole in the fuel cap to help the tank vent. I’ve done everything
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Fuel, Fire, Air…you know the drill. If youre confident the fuel delivery system is up to snuff then check fire. When it dies, pull the spark plug to see if its soaking wet. That would suggest fuel delivery is there but fire is not. Could be a bad CDI, faulty ignition coil, etc…

Intermittent issues are pesky. Only fail sometimes. If this is electrical related you may be chasing it for awhile. A bad ground, bunk rectifier, corroded plug connection hidden somewhere, stator problem…the list goes on.
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

Everything I do leads me back to fuel delivery. I’m going to try to buy another petcock and maybe a bigger diameter vacuum line that doesn’t work going to have to put it away for a while or drive it off a bridge.. lol
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

update . Drilled out the petcock and added manual fuel shutoff. Haven’t had a single issue. That was a new petcock to.. my elite ch125 just started stumbling at wot and starting rough.. changed that petcock aswell ,which was also new, and that runs great… both machines both the same problem and both already had new petcock. Is there any quality control on parts anymore
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Where did you get the crank seals and reed gaskets from?
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

Reed gaskets from noiseguy and crank seals from eBay seller.
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250