New project scoot and wondering whare to start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MNbuckshot
Noob
Noob

New project scoot and wondering whare to start

Post by MNbuckshot »

I just acquired my first scoot and forgive the long story if disinterested skip to second paragraph. Story time a freind of mine works at a tire shop and one day someone pulls up on moped removes the rear wheel walks out of the parking lot and never returns....... about a half a year passes and this poor scoot is just left there unloved then the boss says he is going to throw it in the dumpster because they need to plow the lot and have space for customers. Buddy thinking I'll save you little scoot throws it in the back of his car takes it home puts it in the basement to await repair...... repair never comes a year or so passes as it collects dust in the basement when I hear about this and being a lover of all things old on 2 wheels and not being afraid to get my hands dirty say hey I'll buy that off you. His response you haul it you can have it. At the time of pick up I knew this much. Old Honda and moped. I got it home and now I know the following

It's an 84 spree needs a rear wheel still has gas and oil in the tanks it supposedly turns over but I haven't hooked a battery to it be said the round thing that pumps the file isint vibrating (I'm assuming he ment the petcock) and the last thing I know is that I was wrong in assuming this would be the same as working on my old cb400 I had a few years back.

Frist question is there still a reliable place to get a wheel for this old girl?

Second I read something saying you could remove the petcock and just pout in an on off valve is this a viable option if I can't get the petcock cleaned?

I know this was long winded for 2 small questions but I'm stoked and wanted to share my story with yall . And any extra advice or tips would be greatly appreciated
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New project scoot and wondering whare to start

Post by Meatball »

Spree wheels are plentiful around here. Post a “Wanted” ad and your prayers will be answered by someone. I have a bunch but Im simply too busy to go digging for them in storage and pack/ship it out.

Plan of attack should start with ordering a new air filter/spark plug combo NOW. Link here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142054772067?f ... SwY0Bfiahx grab an exhaust gasket or two from the same seller while youre here. Chances are, the one in there is junk and leaking badly. Theyre cheap and simple to replace.

Then buy a new battery here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133780739384?h ... Sw1YZgwOtr

While you wait for those to arrive in the mail, start by undoing the damage that Father Time has done to the fuel system. Top to bottom here we go. Fuel tank should be inspected and cleaned out. Old gas and any sediment removed. The petcock condition is unknown so you should try using it until it is deemed bad. The fuel and vac lines should be removed and inspected for dry rot or cracks near the ends. Bending them around a bit while looking will reveal hidden cracks…replace with clear fuel line tubing from the auto parts store if damaged. Next is carb….

The carb needs to be removed and fully disassembled to be cleaned. This process seems daunting to many but this one is really a simple design with very few parts. I only wish the WikiSpreedia was working to attach the tutorial…check YouTube and take your time. A clean carb WILL make or break the functionality of the scooter.

Once you have all the fuel system work done and reinstalled, the parts you ordered should have arrived in the mail. Replace the new correctly gapped spark plug, Wash out the airbox, install the new oiled filter, install battery, fill with gas, cross your fingers, say a prayer and hit the button.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MNbuckshot
Noob
Noob

Re: New project scoot and wondering whare to start

Post by MNbuckshot »

Thanks for the links and advice. Really hoping to resurect this old girl. Oh one more question what's the best way to strip paint from the plastic. Someone rattle canned het and it did not turn out