86 Honda Spree. Changed about everything, still won't run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

86 Honda Spree. Changed about everything, still won't run

Post by rkizewski@yahoo.com »

Hi, so I put a question concerning spark a couple of weeks ago and I got through that. Turned out it was the pulse coil failed. Replaced it from an older Spree (two wire) and I have spark. I bought a carb from Amazon and it looks like it might be an Elite carb with the extra short black tube. Still should work. I have changed the cylinder/piston, the plug, the CDI, the starter relay, and the ignition coil.

So what I'm seeing now is that the 86 Spree will start if I dump gas down the throat coming from the air box but will only run until it uses that fuel up. I do see a leak at the manifold to the carb (under the reeds) and have ordered those gaskets.

While I'm waiting I just want to ask, is that it? Will the thing finally run? I've read a lot on this forum and it sounds like it should've been running already. Crappy because of the air leak, but it should be running badly anyway.

I guess I'm getting to the point of reassessing this project. I've put a bunch of new parts and can't get it to run to even test drive it and even found a new kickstart gear and am looking for the Starter Driven Gear but am getting depressed. This shouldn't be this difficult. I have fire, I have compression, and I have vacuum. I even cleaned the original carb four times thinking that the Elite carb might not work but I get the same results either way.

Any suggestions?
:nerd: 1986 Honda Spree NQ50
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 86 Honda Spree. Changed about everything, still won't run

Post by vintagegarage »

When you open the drain screw (the lowest of three flat slot screws on the side of the carb) does gasoline run out of the drain pipe, and if so, how much?
motormike

Post by motormike »

Petcock is the culprit that vintagegarage is pointing toward.
Do some testing of the petcock if you haven't yet.
If the vacuum leak under reed block is fixed, that will surely get you a better chance at running.
Having changed cylinder and piston is always process to get back in service.
The ONLY way for me to diagnose a problem with confidence is to have the scooter physically in front of me.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
rkizewski@yahoo.com
BMX
BMX

Post by rkizewski@yahoo.com »

Hi Vintage. I used another float bowl to measure what I got out of the new carb. Roughly a third full. I have tested the petcock as much as I am able. If I suck on the vacuum line, it flows. I wasn't sure that it was working with the vacuum from the bike, but I turned the crankshaft over with a drill and with the fuel line disconnected from it's spot, it did flow. I think it's working.

Any further guesses/suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.
:nerd: 1986 Honda Spree NQ50