New to me '85 Spree with Throttle/bogging/cutoff issues.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

damplamp
Noob
Noob

New to me '85 Spree with Throttle/bogging/cutoff issues.

Post by damplamp »

Hello Spree world!
I'm brand new to the world of engines/scooters/mechanical work, but I'm excited to learn. I just bought a '95 spree off a fella and it seems to be in pretty good condition but I have a few things to tweak/ some issues to figure out.
It starts cold with ease, 1 press of the ignition and its up and running. I can get it moving pretty easily, but it is inconsistent in the speed it'll give me. "Full throttle" is about a 1/8 turn from idle. Anything above that and it looses all power and will quickly cut off. Seemingly at random one block from the next it'll cap out at 10mph then 2 blocks later suddenly get up to 25mph with ease. At times the engine won't climb in rpms regardless of throttle and will eventually cutoff. It hardly ever will start without sitting for a while first when that happens. From what I understand from generic youtub-ing, the carborator is probably my first place to look. Any advice on where else to investigate or what these problems sound like to you would be much appreciated!
motormike

Re: New to me '85 Spree with Throttle/bogging/cutoff issues.

Post by motormike »

Yes, dis-assembly and thorough cleaning of every passage, jet, needle, orifice,mixture screw, idle stop screw, springs, float, float needle seat, flange, slide,....and all done with attention to verifying that each will flow fuel when sprayed with a can of carb-cleaner. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.
Metal guitar string can be used to clear pilot jet, very tiny diameter. Personally, I use the proper jet cleaning files available @ amazon for cheap.
Search [K & L jet cleaners]...compressed air is highly effective during the cleaning process. Stubborn carbs can often take several cleanings.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"