Top end replacements/alternatives/upgrades - 2001 Elite 50 SR

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zage
Noob
Noob

Top end replacements/alternatives/upgrades - 2001 Elite 50 SR

Post by zage »

Hi! This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle. I recently acquired a 2001 Elite 50 SR for around $50 since it has >12k miles and was run for a couple dozen miles with no oil… but it still runs! I bled the oil lines/pump and it’s still sorta quick compared to the Chinese 4 strokes that come into the shop. It currently tops out at 30 mph consistently and it almost feels like it’s revving out, but I think that’s due to the damage.

There’s plenty of upgrades I’d love to do on it, but I know the first thing should be a new cylinder and piston and I’m currently on a pretty tight budget. Stock replacements seem to have dried up or been beat to * and back. BBKs are way more readily available, but I’m concerned with the costs of all the supporting mods I would need. Is there any reasonable alternative to the stock cylinder that those with experience could recommend? Any additional info is very much appreciated since I know very little about Honda scooters. Thanks!
2001 Honda Elite 50 SR - Polini Contessa, malossi variator, other bits and bobs
1998 MuZ Moskito - basically stock with an exhaust
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Top end replacements/alternatives/upgrades - 2001 Elite 50 SR

Post by Ben L. »

I would suggest a mild 70cc kit. You can run a cheaper Malossi with stock carb and exhaust. My last elite has the Malossi 70cc cast cylinder, 9:1 gears, and polini variator. Stock carb with stock intake and exhaust and I had no problems getting up to 60mph.

I’d start with opening up the cvt and checking belts, rollers, and variator/ ramp plate for wear. Install a new spark plug and air filter. That might be keeping you at only 30mph.
Last edited by Ben L. on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by NZHonda »

Great idea with a mild BBK to start.

Seeing as it's been run with NO oil you will need to replace the crankshaft bearings (and seals). They will not last long and even less with a BBK installed. Go OEM Honda if you can find them.
Honda AF28 Dio ZX - Malossi 72cc
Honda DJ1R project
zage
Noob
Noob

Post by zage »

Ben L. wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 pm I would suggest a mild 70cc kit. You can run a cheaper Malossi with stock carb and exhaust. My last elite has the Malossi 70cc cast cylinder, 9:1 gears, and polini variator. Stock carb with stock intake and exhaust and I had no problems getting up to 60mph.

I’d start with opening up the cvt and checking belts, rollers, and variator/ ramp plate for wear. Install a new spark plug and air filter. That might be keeping you at only 30mph.
Thank you! Did you also use the Malossi piston/rings? And if you had to upjet, which I'm assuming you did, what size did you go with? I was able to clean the air filter yesterday, and a * of a lot of grime came out of it. I also punched out the second tab of my airbox, and from those two things alone got an extra 2-3 mph. I'm super busy with school this week, but I think you're probably right about the transmission so I'll do a bit of a rebuild next week. I was looking at the Naraku variator since it seems good for the price, what weights did you use with that setup? Also any opinions on the Polini Contessa kit vs. the Malossi 72cc kit around the same price?
zage
Noob
Noob

Post by zage »

NZHonda wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:40 am Great idea with a mild BBK to start.

Seeing as it's been run with NO oil you will need to replace the crankshaft bearings (and seals). They will not last long and even less with a BBK installed. Go OEM Honda if you can find them.
How urgent do you think this is? I'm not sure exactly how long it was run pretty much dry, or if it even was... I haven't yet torn it down to inspect the insides since it's my main form of transportation, but I work as a scooter tech in a college town, and I see people come in who never even realized you needed to fill the oil reservoir until it didn't start anymore. Standard protocol is to give them a new top end and a stern talking to, and those scooters usually soldier on for thousands more miles.
zage
Noob
Noob

Post by zage »

Ben L. wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 pm My last elite has the Malossi 70cc cast cylinder, 9:1 gears, and polini variator. Stock carb with stock intake and exhaust and I had no problems getting up to 60mph.
Also wanted to ask about the final drive, since I can't seem to find the fabled 9:1 ratio everyone uses. Only final drive I've found is the listing on SSS for a bunch of different sizes here:
https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... o-gear-kit
They're close but not exact, so I feel like I'm missing something. Are the gears shared with another model that is more common? I highly doubt these are custom machined for $60, so SOMEONE else has to make 'em, right?

I really appreciate the responses!

Edit: also, a hydraulic press is needed to replace the gear on the shaft? Seems like a lot of effort for a common mod...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes the gear is a hard press-fit. It amazes me that friction is the only thing keeping the shaft from twisting the gear off. AF05s had spline fit final shaft gears, and the press-fit was the countershaft. Not sure why everything isn't splines, but I guess someone found the press more reliable. Anyway a press is a $150 tool at Harbor Freight, and the 12-Ton works just fine. Tool Shopping Opportunity? If not, any machine shop can do the job for a 6-pack. The 16/42 gears yield a 9.1-something to one ratio if memory serves. 9:1 works fine with stock and a Sport iron big-bore. If you go Aluminum (Corsa, Malossi MHR, Fabrizi...) you'll want 8.3s or taller. (Numerically lower.)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH