85 Honda Spree - petcock issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

85 Honda Spree - petcock issue

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Recently acquired a 1985 Honda Spree non-running.

It turns over, has spark, and fuel… too much fuel. Took the carb off and thoroughly cleaned it out, jets and all. Took the reed manifold off and checked the reeds and they are firm, closing back as expected. I did notice the engine case is full of gas though under the reeds.

Took the fuel line off the carb and also the vacuum line. Have a slight drip of fuel from the fuel line and some also from the vacuum line. Applied negative pressure to the vacuum line and very little gas is coming from the fuel line to the carb.

Plan on taking the petcock off the tank, blowing compressed air through the screen and also both lines then down into the top of the petcock per the manual to reset it.

If the petcock is bad after that, where can I find a new one for the 85?
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Re: 85 Honda Spree - petcock issue

Post by Volvo850R »

I’ve purchased some through eBay as long as there listed for an 85 they worked for me… I’ve also drilled one out and just added an inline manual shutoff.
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

An OEM 84-85 Spree has an M14 x 1.0 thread, an 86-87 is M16 x 1.5.

Take the time to measure the petcock spigot on your tank.
The fuel tank is often swapped out, and it may no longer have the expected thread size.

Further, there are a few sellers on eBay whose listings say 'fits 85 Spree' But the photo and description says its 16mm. Look for both 'fits' and hard figures that the thread matches your tank.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Ordered one off ebay last night, item description says its for an 85 and m14x1. Took the old one off and checked the threads and size at local hardware shop so thats the right size. Figured it may have a swapped tank so wanted to confirm.

Unfortunately when I did the original compression test it shot fuel into the gauge and ruined it. So it must have some compression but not entirely sure how much. Once I get the fuel issue fixed I’ll go back and maybe get another gauge for the compression check.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

New petcock fixed the fuel flooding issue. Broken petcock will flood the crankcase causing a hydrolock situation and the motor won’t turn over. Removing the oil pump, and using a negative pressure pump will remove all the excess gas, then pull plug and crank over until the rest is gone.