Spree aftermarket led blinker

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Spree aftermarket led blinker

Post by Volvo850R »

Hey I added led blinkers to me spree trying to figure out how to get them blinking independent again… I assume I need a led relay some one also mentioned diode kit.? I’m not great with electrical but I know the basics.. thanks. And cheers
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Spree aftermarket led blinker

Post by mousewheels »

If all four of your blinkers are flashing, the flasher you installed may be fine.

The OEM flasher would not flash under the lower load of LEDs.
In fact the OEM flasher will not even blink on a side if one bulb is open.

-- Why do all four leds light up?
When all four LEDs are flashing, it is because of two components,
1) The Filament of the turn signal indicator on your dash is wired in between the left/right blinkers
2) The Turn signal 'Clicker' is wired the same way

What makes all four LEDs flash, is the the activated flasher (We will use the right blinker...) Applies
12v to the Right LEDs. With the Turn signal indicator and Clicker wired to the Left LEDs, the Left turn signal
channel forms the ground.

With Filament bulbs in the OEM circuit, the current flowing into the Left channel is not enough to light up the
Left bulbs.

But with LEDs, The Left channel lights up along with the Right.

-- Fix ideas (others may have additional methods to post)
1) A crude method to fix the problem is to put resistors across the one of the Left and Right turn signal bulbs.

2) Diodes as you mention is cleaner, and gives the best power savings. I converted years ago, when
Leds were expensive and low power. My Leds are 3 watt. So I used 1 amp diodes, leaving about 1/2 amp margin.

-- Diagrams
This is what I did when converting my Gyro and Elite 50. The Spree is basically the same wiring.

Original turn signal wiring
GyroFlasherWiringDiagram.jpg
GyroFlasherWiringDiagram.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Modified wiring diagram
Gyro_Led_Conversion.jpg
Gyro_Led_Conversion.jpg (126.34 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

OK thanks. Appreciate the information. All four of mine just stay on. I’m not very worried about power savings I just want them to blink accordingly. What the simplest way to achieve this. I still have the original flasher relay right now.. cheers
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

All four of mine just stay on. I’m not very worried about power savings I just want them to blink accordingly. What the simplest way to achieve this. I still have the original flasher relay right now.. c

You can add load resistors to simulate 2 Lamps. But with today's high power LEDs the resistor does not to draw as much power as 2 lamps.
Post your LED wattage or current and we can give a go at sizing the load resisitor.

It would be well worth your while to switch to an LED flasher, to reduce amount of turn signal current burnt in the load resistors.

With the OEM load and a weak battery often times the blinkers do not flash when you are stopped.

--
Below diagram shows resistors sized to 1 lamp load only. It will not flash with the OEM flasher.
But in the short term just run 1 LED and 1 filament lamp on each side.

Later you can replace the flasher with an LED type, and upgrade all signal Lamps to LEDs.
GyroFlasherWiringDiagram - LED load Resistors.jpg
GyroFlasherWiringDiagram - LED load Resistors.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Txaero121
BMX
BMX

Post by Txaero121 »

I'm thinking about getting these for my aero 50 and mounting them in between the mirror post and the mirror ! possibly or some small flush mounts on the headstay cover https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Mini-LED-Mo ... 632-2357-0
looks like you where right again !12.99 part from autozone part # EL12 (Novita Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flasher EL12) = no resistors needed from the looks of it . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKqGQbyD4lk
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I'm thinking about getting these for my aero 50 and mounting them in between the mirror post and the mirror ! possibly or some small flush mounts on the headstay cover
Those look easy to mount up about anywhere. Post up some pics when you get them mounted!

12.99 part from autozone part # EL12 (Novita Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flasher EL12) = no resistors needed from the looks of it
I watched the video, glad the flasher worked for him w/o resistors. YMMV - Novita does not spec EL12 as LED compatible.

--
http://novitatech.com/?q=aftermarket/products
EL12 is in the "Electromechanical" section of the above link.

Check out Novita's Electronic flashers and Heavy duty line. Most Electronic and a few in Heavy duty list LED compatibility.
Txaero121
BMX
BMX

Post by Txaero121 »

so looked that up and there is 3 options for the 2 plug setup similar to the stock honda one . that would be (ep37,ep50,ht47) which of those 3 would be the one to get?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

so looked that up and there is 3 options for the 2 plug setup similar to the stock honda one . that would be (ep37,ep50,ht47) which of those 3 would be the one to get?
There's not much technical info on the Novita site. I'd have gone for the smallest, but checking prices the EP50 was better - at Autozone...

-- Novita - Heavy Duty/2 Pin LED compatible
DOT/FMV55/SAE J1690A, Assembled in USA
EP37 - 432 watt/36 Amp max, $25.99 Autozone
EP50 - 540 watt/45 Amp max, $22.99 Autozone
HT47 - 432 watt/36 Amp max, $31.99 Autozone
--

The flasher below is reasonably priced. It does require connecting an additional ground wire to work.
But the two pin base makes it easier to use OEM wiring than retro-fitting a 3 pin base flasher.
-- CEC EF32 RL - 2 Pin with 3rd Flylead ground ~ $12
https://www.cecindustries.com/products/ ... Num=EF32RL
DOT/FMVSS108, SAE J590b J945 & J1690
12V 0.10-20A 2PIN LED ELECTRONIC FLASHER

Lastly make a search on '2 pin LED flasher'. There are a lot of low cost flashers (under $10) these days.
While they may not have list specs compliant with automotive stds the above flashers do, they are smaller and
still have plenty of capacity for the LED's we'd used.
Txaero121
BMX
BMX

Post by Txaero121 »

yeah i dont mind spending a extra 10$ to be able to get it locally same day will try out the EP50 and see how it works out just need to decide on how im going to mount the blinkers
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

yeah i dont mind spending a extra 10$ to be able to get it locally same day will try out the EP50...
Great - and it would make a killer source of a blinker if you need to grab it for your 4 wheeled vehicles... G'luck
Txaero121
BMX
BMX

Post by Txaero121 »

so i found some on amazon that had some pretty good reviews . whats your thoughts on this https://www.amazon.com/Dewhel-0-02A-10A ... geNumber=2
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I just got delivery of one similar to that - case is the same.

Looking good - will post a new thread on LED flashers with a teardown and test of the flasher.
--
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I finally got LED blinkers working on the rear of the old spree . My question is how hot do they resistors get.? I got the tiny aluminum fin ones that i screwed underneath the frame away from anything. When I do the front I wanna know how to safely place the resistors … thanks
Not sure what you installed. Post up what you used for resistors.

The 6ohm/50 watt resistors I posted would draw the same watts as an OEM lamp, and would get about as hot. If you keep it an inch or two from plastics and wiring it should be fine. The average power is only about 12 watts. In comparison, a sewing machine lamp is around 15 watts, You can see they have only an inch or so between the lamp and plastic housing.
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

They are 8ohm 25 watt. Of eBay.
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I got the tiny aluminum fin ones that i screwed underneath the frame away from anything. When I do the front I wanna know how to safely place the resistors .....They are 8ohm 25 watt. Of eBay.
8 ohms #13.8v is a power of 23.8 watts, with the flasher at 50% duty cycle, that about 12 watts.

Mounted to the frame the way you did I'd say that's fine. If you can put the 2nd set of resistors on the frame separated by a few inches
that might be easier than tucking it under the front.

However, if no heatsink is present, 50% of rated load could be an issue.

I have no data on your resistor, so will post a reference example from Dale/Vishay.
Their 25 watt resistor rating requires a heat sink of specific dimensions.