85 Spree - Not enough power to turn over fast enough

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: 85 Spree - Not enough power to turn over fast enough

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If the starter works correctly, and the gear teeth mismatch isn't the issue, could something be making the engine itself harder to spin? If your battery is still suspect, jump it to a car battery and see about that.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:39 pm Greetings:

If the starter works correctly, and the gear teeth mismatch isn't the issue, could something be making the engine itself harder to spin? If your battery is still suspect, jump it to a car battery and see about that.
So I can crank it up pretty easily using a drill and 17mm socket. So I’m thinking that the crank bearings, etc are good.

Jumping it from the truck I’ve tried putting the leads directly to the battery, removing the spree battery leads and putting jumper leads directly to those, and disconnecting the starter harness and connecting jumper leads directly to that. This was all prior to taking the starter in for repair and I also had the crank case side off. I’ll try that again if it still has a binding issue when I get the starter back in it.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Anyone know if this washer #6 in the diagram is the one that holds the bendix together or separate?
1A93D2DB-5278-4A13-8330-5E6D8947660C.jpeg
1A93D2DB-5278-4A13-8330-5E6D8947660C.jpeg (81.67 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Anyone know if this washer #6 in the diagram is the one that holds the bendix together or separate?
It does look to be a unique part.
The washer on the Bendix is counterbored to house the retaining ring on the Bendix shaft.

But the parts fiche description is WASHER, PLAIN (10mm) 90401-437-000. A photo(found on eBay) shows a plain washer.
Spree_Bendix_Washer.jpg
Spree_Bendix_Washer.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

mousewheels wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:17 pm
So I counted 65teeth on the bendix which seems to be correct. Waiting on getting the starter back from the repair shop to count those splines.
Good you have the correct Bendix for your model. I hope your starter is 10T and is soon back in shape :thumbwink:
Alright well bad news the starter has 11 splines which is the later version. Which sounds like is not compatible with the 65T bendix I have. Question now is, is it better to get a 10T starter and possibly get a dud, or find a bendix thats compatible with this starter? That’s assuming the newer starter/bendix combo will work in the older 85 model.
E5C70069-1491-46C6-A147-CAB4F94F0660.jpeg
E5C70069-1491-46C6-A147-CAB4F94F0660.jpeg (290.07 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Alright well bad news the starter has 11 splines which is the later version.
Rats!
Question now is, is it better to get a 10T starter and possibly get a dud, or find a bendix thats compatible with this starter? That’s assuming the newer starter/bendix combo will work in the older 85 model.
It only an opinion - Shop around for a 10T starter from a trusted trader. You have a service shop checked out 11T starter that should be sought after.
If the 10T's armature is ok, anything else - brushes/bearing/bushing is small stuff that will renew the rest.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

mousewheels wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:10 am
Alright well bad news the starter has 11 splines which is the later version.
Rats!

Yeah dissappointing
Question now is, is it better to get a 10T starter and possibly get a dud, or find a bendix thats compatible with this starter? That’s assuming the newer starter/bendix combo will work in the older 85 model.
It only an opinion - Shop around for a 10T starter from a trusted trader. You have a service shop checked out 11T starter that should be sought after.
If the 10T's armature is ok, anything else - brushes/bearing/bushing is small stuff that will renew the rest.
So I searched a bit online last night and was unable to find a decent priced 85 starter. Ordered a bendix for an 86 with 63T that ‘should’ be compatible with this starter. It’s a good test to see if that actually fixes the issue. Unless the newer bendix itself doesn’t fit in the 85 it should work. Worth a shot. If not I’m open to ideas on where to find a 85 starter.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Ordered a bendix for an 86 with 63T that ‘should’ be compatible with this starter. It’s a good test to see if that actually fixes the issue.
True - that will be helpful work on the issue
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

mousewheels wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:50 am
Ordered a bendix for an 86 with 63T that ‘should’ be compatible with this starter. It’s a good test to see if that actually fixes the issue.
True - that will be helpful work on the issue
Quick update:
The newer model bendix (86 and up) with 63T ‘DOES’ work with the newer model starter 11T (86 and up) in the 85 model Spree.

Put it in and it spins over without the binding issue as seen before. Thats the good news, bad news is I ran the battery down before seeing it fire at all. Not sure if it wasn’t spinning fast enough to crank it, but charging the battery and will try again.

Other good news is while waiting for the bendix I replaced both left and right crank seals and cleaned all the surface rust from the flywheel. Also removed all the oily gunk buildup behind the stator and some small rust from the metal contacts on the stator itself.
Last edited by Rideslikenacho on Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Quick update:
Jumped it off the truck, sprayed it twice with starter fluid in the airbox and it fired up, made some adjustments to the idle and air mixture screw and let it idle for a good 20 minutes. Then rode around the backyard a few times. Turned it off and it cranked right up with the battery. Did that a few times and cranked right up. Will try again tomorrow after its sat overnight and see what happens.
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

No start condition today. Will run a few seconds on starter fluid then die out. Definitely seems like fuel is not being delivered. Definitely it making it to the carb so new petcock is good.

Pulled the bystarter to check condition and it was stuck inside the hole. Went ahead and ordered a new one.