Why is the clutch all eaten up?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

DrunkBotany
Noob
Noob

Why is the clutch all eaten up?

Post by DrunkBotany »

Hey all,
So after now having fixed 3 separate problems on my 1985 Honda spree before I declare her road worthy, I’ve discovered a new one. The weights on the clutch are severely eaten up and there are no pads left. Also didn’t see any metal pieces so unless they were grounded to dust and mixed with the belt dust, I have my suspicion someone removed the pieces and road it in its current state and failed to mention the issue… The scooter only has 1200 miles on it, is there anything else that I should look at that could of caused it? The guy I bought it from had replaced the fuel lines, fuel peacock, rebuilt the carb and some other random stuff and only used it for gas station runs. When I bought it I test road it and thought it felt good (having never ridden a scooter before) and was under the impression that only the rear back cable was broken but am starting to get frustrated with how much I paid and how much work I’m putting into something that was suppose to be in fairly good shape.

This is my first scooter, and while I’m having fun working on it, I do really need it to work. I’ve replaced the rear brake cable, battery, the rectifier, and rewired half the ground wires. Thought she might be ready and the rear tire was spinning so tried to adjust the carb but couldn’t without a spinning tire, so went to investigate the clutch, hoping it was just a broken spring, if only I had been so lucky.

Im attaching some pictures for reference, couldn’t get the clutch off cause I didn’t have a wrench or socket big enough yet, but the damage is obvious. Any insights on what could cause such damage would be greatly appreciated, as well as any good sources for a new clutch. Thanks! You all have been awesome for a noob like myself.
Attachments
E401EFAD-E17C-40BD-B5F8-059D5E73F137.jpeg
E401EFAD-E17C-40BD-B5F8-059D5E73F137.jpeg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 839 times
E3EC5D25-C4A7-4D62-A01F-7F1D9C1D368E.jpeg
E3EC5D25-C4A7-4D62-A01F-7F1D9C1D368E.jpeg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 839 times
630F6CBD-AE5A-4897-9D28-72AA31B642CF.jpeg
630F6CBD-AE5A-4897-9D28-72AA31B642CF.jpeg (68 KiB) Viewed 839 times
motormike

Re: Why is the clutch all eaten up?

Post by motormike »

What happened ?...well, offhand, I'd say it was 35 year old brake pads exploding from age and stress
that resulted in friction, heat, and subsequent breakage of castings. Of course, somebody could have monkeyed around in there.
Once you get it all sorted, the troubles slow down if not disappear.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
DrunkBotany
Noob
Noob

Re: Why is the clutch all eaten up?

Post by DrunkBotany »

Thanks for the response Motormike. Ya, figured it could be age but was still surprised by the level of damage. Know of anyone that sells a compatible clutch by chance?