Runs Way Too Fast

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

auraxr
Noob
Noob

Runs Way Too Fast

Post by auraxr »

Brand new member. Question . Changed engine on 86 Spree due to lower bearing noise. Moved carb, exhaust and oil pump over from previous running engine. This new to me used engine runs way to fast and does not respond to any carb adjustments. Cannot get to slow down to anywhere near an idle. probably 2/3 rpm or more. No air leaks seen. Any ideas out there? Reeds possibly not right ? Going to change carbs but this setup ran well on old engine. Perplexing problem. Help.
motormike

Re: Runs Way Too Fast

Post by motormike »

If you had the throttle slide OUT of the carburetor,
it is possible to put it back in 180 degrees out of orientation.
This will seem okay at first, and will all go back together,
but the slide will not drop to a fully-closed position, resulting in nearly full-throttle running.
When you look down the carb throat from the air-cleaner side, you should see the throttle slide completely bottomed.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
auraxr
Noob
Noob

Re: Runs Way Too Fast

Post by auraxr »

Found problem and like usual was something that I did. The carb to manifold gasket /spacer is not actually centered and I had it wrong side up so to speak and letting a lot more air into and between carb and manifold. Trying to explain here the center hole is off center top to bottom and putting it on incorrectly causes a lot of problem. Also since correcting this went back to a muffler that is "stock" rather than gutted and sounded to hollow and noisy. Comments welcome. Runs good now.