What size carb?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

What size carb?

Post by sdugasjr »

I recently acquired an AF16 and I plan on doing a Malossi full circle crank, paired with a Polini Corsa and an S23 intake manifold, gears and etc. What size carb would be sufficient for this setup? Something over 19mm I would assume?

Thanks in advance
‘87 Elite SE50 - 72cc AF16
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Re: What size carb?

Post by bonesv »

You will want to match up the carb/exhaust pipe to reach the powerband of the corsa. Choose your exhaust pipe to match the corsa then choose the carb is how I would do that. Choice of gear ratio is also going to be a factor in the tuning but the rider weight will also have to be a consideration to setup the belt drive and clutch mods.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

bonesv wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 am You will want to match up the carb/exhaust pipe to reach the powerband of the corsa. Choose your exhaust pipe to match the corsa then choose the carb is how I would do that. Choice of gear ratio is also going to be a factor in the tuning but the rider weight will also have to be a consideration to setup the belt drive and clutch mods.
I’m going to try out the 9:1 gears. I only weigh about 115lbs on a good day so I think that would be sufficient enough for what I want to do with the build.

What pipe would you recommend? I’ve seen the Arrow pipe seems to be in stock and a pretty reputable pipe, do you think that pairs well with the Corsa or what other pipes should I look at? I’m not trying to go full on race spec, just want something that’ll get me 55-65mph reliably
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Go with the NCY pipe. Very affordable. It doesn’t require super hi-rpm’s to work well. If you want all-out snap your neck back take-off power, the arrow is one of the best! Expensive for a daily-driver and it is susceptible to early self-destruction due to inert design fragility. It’s a loud as f__k!! race pipe IMO Stay on smooth surfaces and get the best mileage 😎
Get it tuned well to any one particular pipe and you’ll be a happy camp’a! :rock: Corsa Rocks!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

bonesv wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:35 pm Go with the NCY pipe. Very affordable. It doesn’t require super hi-rpm’s to work well. If you want all-out snap your neck back take-off power, the arrow is one of the best! Expensive for a daily-driver and it is susceptible to early self-destruction due to inert design fragility. It’s a loud as f__k!! race pipe IMO Stay on smooth surfaces and get the best mileage 😎
Get it tuned well to any one particular pipe and you’ll be a happy camp’a! :rock: Corsa Rocks!
Thank you! That’s my concern as well is fuel mileage, which it should be a lot better as I won’t be pinned on the throttle, trying to stay in the speed limit as some of the roads I travel on are like 45+ and the little AF05 doesn’t really like it that much, I watch my gas gauge drop very fast lol

Also you mean this NCY pipe correct? https://scooterswapshop.com/products/ho ... cy-exhaust
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yup! That is the one. I spray paint mine with hi temp (4000 deg.) header paint-flat black. Looks “stock” and I like having the extra rust barrier. Have fun dude and be safe 😎
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

bonesv wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:48 pm Yup! That is the one. I spray paint mine with hi temp (4000 deg.) header paint-flat black. Looks “stock” and I like having the extra rust barrier. Have fun dude and be safe 😎
Thank you Mr. Bones, I will update you with pictures when I get it all in and running, luckily the warm weather spout already passed for a little while so allows me to not be in such an excitement rush to get it going lol
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

:thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

There was a time on this Forum when everyone would cheer for a 28mm OKO. It turns out, the top end might (arguably) be OK, but it was a Bear to tune at idle and midrange. Then Folks discovered that smaller carbs, certainly nothing bigger than a 24 would give just as much top end and be MUCH easier to tune for linear throttle response. A 24 OKO (Not nearly as good as a Polini version) actually got my Corsa over 70 MPH with 8.3-something gears. Still not that easy to tune. If I were starting over, I'd go with a 21.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I guess I never actually recommended a carburetor. I will assume you don’t want your scooter to sound like a full out race bike and if you put an OKO or Polini flat-slide carb on there it will do just that. The ncy pipe and an oem style 19mm carb setup with some kind of an airbox will get you to about 60 mph with 9:1 gears. And it won’t upset your neighbors when you leave for work at 6am. To get the most out of your corsa, you should get the 21-24mm flat-slide and pod filter with the Arrow pipe for Dio 😎You could push 7.5:1 gears at 120lbs rider weight 👍🏼70+ easily with correct tuning etc…..
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:38 pm Greetings:

There was a time on this Forum when everyone would cheer for a 28mm OKO. It turns out, the top end might (arguably) be OK, but it was a Bear to tune at idle and midrange. Then Folks discovered that smaller carbs, certainly nothing bigger than a 24 would give just as much top end and be MUCH easier to tune for linear throttle response. A 24 OKO (Not nearly as good as a Polini version) actually got my Corsa over 70 MPH with 8.3-something gears. Still not that easy to tune. If I were starting over, I'd go with a 21.
I just got a 24mm Polini PWK the other day, a guy local to me ran a similar setup and said he used the 24 and loved it, so I figured I would take his word for it. Just waiting to find someone to put my crank in, as I don’t have the proper tools for it and it should be up an ripping within the next few weeks, weather pending of course
‘01 Elite SR
sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

bonesv wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:57 pm I guess I never actually recommended a carburetor. I will assume you don’t want your scooter to sound like a full out race bike and if you put an OKO or Polini flat-slide carb on there it will do just that. The ncy pipe and an oem style 19mm carb setup with some kind of an airbox will get you to about 60 mph with 9:1 gears. And it won’t upset your neighbors when you leave for work at 6am. To get the most out of your corsa, you should get the 21-24mm flat-slide and pod filter with the Arrow pipe for Dio 😎You could push 7.5:1 gears at 120lbs rider weight 👍🏼70+ easily with correct tuning etc…..
Coincidentally enough, I ordered an Arrow from SSS when they were on sale and I was able to use the members discount. Pod and Dio Naraku intake are coming from Racing Planet I would assume by next week sometime. Polini PWK 24mm sitting on my coffee table waiting for the intake. As for the neighbors, I don’t think they’ll mind all that much, there’s a dude in the neighborhood that has a straight piped Northstar and leaves at weird hours in the night, so I guess I’d just be returning the favor lol

Also I’ve been reading a bunch of old threads on here and a lot of them mention having to run extra gaskets to match the stroke of the crank, do I have to do this with my application? The majority of them i was reading was for the ministrokes, which I am pretty sure the Malossi full circle isn’t?
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

The Malossi is stock stroke and the corsa is designed for a stock stroke so it’s perfect without any additional gaskets just use what’s in the kit. The jet won’t fit the Polini carb and never run a Champion spark plug in your scooter. NGK always.
BR8HS is perfect. The corsa does not like rich jetting so dial it like 40-42 pilot with a 118-120 main but depends on the type of pod filter/air intake. Roller weight with the Arrow is about 4.5-5.0 gm or 5.5. I liked 3-5.0’s with 3-5.5’s alternated in a Polini vari (for ruckus) with a stock Honda belt. Adjust your clutch springs for 8500 launch then see if you like it or go heavier to launch at 9k+. The Arrow is full range and the corsa can turn 10500-11000 if a you like 🤑
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

bonesv wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:04 pm The Malossi is stock stroke and the corsa is designed for a stock stroke so it’s perfect without any additional gaskets just use what’s in the kit. The jet won’t fit the Polini carb and never run a Champion spark plug in your scooter. NGK always.
BR8HS is perfect. The corsa does not like rich jetting so dial it like 40-42 pilot with a 118-120 main but depends on the type of pod filter/air intake. Roller weight with the Arrow is about 4.5-5.0 gm or 5.5. I liked 3-5.0’s with 3-5.5’s alternated in a Polini vari (for ruckus) with a stock Honda belt. Adjust your clutch springs for 8500 launch then see if you like it or go heavier to launch at 9k+. The Arrow is full range and the corsa can turn 10500-11000 if a you like 🤑
Well, you just did all the hard part for me lol, thanks! Yeah I was going to go NGK anyway since I never had an issue with them and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've got jet kits coming from SSS, should be here early next week then I have to just wait for my Naraku intake, which should be here the same time, just dropped the motor off with a shop this afternoon, told me he'd be done by end of day but haven't got a call back, figured I would try him tomorrow and see how close he is to completion. I plan on going Polini 3 shoe clutch since you can dial those in a little easier, but for now I'll just run whats in my AF05E since it all just basically transfers over beside vari boss (I honestly don't remember what I have, I just know its a Keli var).

Thank you so much for your help Mr. Bones and Wheelman, I will get back on here with pictures and videos when I get the motor back and everything put on it, I'll ask the guy who's putting my crank in what he thinks is a good break in period, I don't want to be popping bores or cranks with the scarcity and price of them lol.

edit: what gap do you usually run on the plug? Just factory recommendation?
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I use a gauge in inches but metric is easy also.
Inches I set mine at about .028” I’m pretty sure Honda says the stock plug gap setting is .024”
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX