Help with '87 Spree :-(

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jgriffin187
BMX
BMX

Help with '87 Spree :-(

Post by jgriffin187 »

Hi all,

Looking for some help/suggestions to try and get my Spree running again. I have an '87 with 700 miles. I'm the second owner, but have owned it for ~15 years. It's only ever needed a carb clean once a year to stay running great. It recently had become harder to start (when cold). It was taking quite a few cranks (electric or kick) to get started. Once warmed up, it seemed ok. I regret it now, but went down a long rabbit hole of changing/replacing parts after several carb cleans (and bystarter change) didn't solve it. I'm now at a point where it doesn't really run. I can get it to start now and then, but it requires wide open throttle and cranking the starter for a long time. If it does start, it'll barely run for 15-20 seconds and die.

Bought a compression tester and it's showing ~80. The hose for the tester is about a foot long, so I'm hoping that the compression may be higher? (but with the tester that I have I need to use the hose)

Things I've replaced:

- Tried 2-3 carburetors (cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner and used welder tip cleaner on jets)
- Tried 2-3 bystarters
- Replaced spark plug
- Replaced gas
- Replaced engine/oil seals
- Replaced petcock (and fuel/vacuum lines)
- Replaced reeds
- Replaced carburetor spacer (mine was originally missing)
- Replaced piston and rings
- Cooked the exhaust to remove carbon

I'm not sure what else to try or test, but hoping that I've overlooked something obvious?

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
motormike

Re: Help with '87 Spree :-(

Post by motormike »

Was your compression test done with the throttle held wide open ? It should have been.
Was the 80# reading before or after the piston and rings ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
jgriffin187
BMX
BMX

Post by jgriffin187 »

Hi,

Yes, test was done with WOT (electric and kick). Compression was slightly lower (~70) before piston/rings, but not a huge difference.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Assuming the crank end seals aren't leaking AND the base and head gaskets are good AND your new reeds are sound, I would check the bore. Might be worth a look/cleanout of the intake side too. That compression doesn't seem right unless the cylinder itself is bad or there's a leak someplace.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jgriffin187
BMX
BMX

Post by jgriffin187 »

Thanks Wheelman,

I still think that there has to be a leak somewhere. I'm going to try and find/make a pressure tester to be sure that it's not leaking. If I'm not finding any leaks, I'll take your advice and concentrate on the bore next.

thanks again,
Josh
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

Hey.. did you try drilling a hole in the gas cap to help it vent.. and FYI. My harbor freight compression tester never went above 80 on my spree. Tried a snap on and it was perfect.
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
jgriffin187
BMX
BMX

Post by jgriffin187 »

Hi,

Hadn’t thought about a potential gas cap vent issue, but I’ll put that on the list to check as well. Thanks for mentioning your compression tester too. Mine was from Amazon, but pretty sure it’s the same as Harbor Freight. I’ll see if I can find a better one to test as well.
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Post by Volvo850R »

Mine works fine on cars but I tried it on couple sprees and scooters never climbs beyond 80psi.. junk
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250