Trying to revive Elite SA50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Raharu
BMX
BMX

Trying to revive Elite SA50

Post by Raharu »

Hiya scoot bros! :coolcruise: I have a '98 SA50P that used to run well ~7 years ago but has been sitting ever since. I'm trying to bring her back to life and managed to get her to run down the block for a quick test drive but am still having problems.

Symptoms:
  • The bike REALLY tries to start only on the first kick. Subsequent kicks don't try to start. If I let the bike sit for a couple minutes and then try again, it tries to start.
  • The spark plug is wet.
  • It'll only idle when the throttle cable assembly is VERY loosely screwed into the carb. If it's screwed in all the way, the engine will only stay running when there's some throttle applied, otherwise it will die. If the throttle assembly is screwed into the carb all the way, I have to open the throttle halfway to get the bike to start.
  • I think the oil pump might be busted? I've always run premix in this bike and looking at the lines it doesn't appear that there's any oil flowing.
Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Replaced all fuel and oil lines
  • Deep cleaned the carb
  • Emptied and replaced fluids
  • New spark plug
  • New air filter (stock)

Right now, the bike is stock with the exception of derestricting the original variator and adding a YMS exhaust. I also haven't changed the main jet. Was reading in another post about how oil can flood the crankcase, causing the spark plug to be wet after sitting, but I can't find any info on this in the wiki. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Re: Trying to revive Elite SA50

Post by Raharu »

UPDATE:

I went ahead and took the engine off the frame to drain the crankcase of any potential oil buildup as described in this thread.

This is going to sound insane, but there was a small, dead baby frog inside the reed valve. Something tells me this was my issue :lol: Still, I'm proceeding with the draining just in case, although the cylinder was dry and the spark plug is dry now as well.

When draining the crankcase following Wheelman's guide, does the reed valve itself have to be removed, or just the reed block that sits atop it? My reed valve gasket is pretty fused to the metal and I'm not sure I can remove it without damaging it...
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Re: Trying to revive Elite SA50

Post by Raharu »

Got everything put back together. Unsurprisingly, the issue was the dead frog in the reed valve :P She starts and runs great now. If anyone could help me out in my performance mods thread, I'd really appreciate it!

Mods, feel free to close.