Bendix binding - won't turn over

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zedb
Noob
Noob

Bendix binding - won't turn over

Post by zedb »

I've got a case of bendix binding and I could really use some help. I feel like I've read almost every post on this topic and I am nearing my breaking point. Here's the story:
I am in the process of rebuilding my 85 spree. I am near the end of my project and I'm only waiting on a new petcock to get this thing going. While waiting for the part to come in the mail, I wanted to see if the starter could do its job and turn over the engine. It's a no go. I opened the crankcase and the bendix was still engaged on the drive pulley. I took everything apart and examined each piece. The bendix is clean and functioning properly. The drive pulley gear is clean and should be fine. The battery is brand new with 12.6V and barely dips when the starter fires. I tested the starter on its own and it was working well. I added the bendix and held the end with a screwdriver and it extended and retracted properly when I ran the starter. I lubed the bendix and cleaned everything before I put it all back together. Tried to start it and I had the same binding. Took off the crankcase and tried turning it manually using the flywheel on the other side. Even when turning the crank with my hand and guiding the bendix it was still binding so I know it is not a starter issue. I noticed when I turn the crank and the bendix is not extended, the drive pulley gear rubs into the upper non-geared portion of the bednix on a section of its rotation. This distance of movement is very small which tells me the crankshaft is ever so slightly bent. I tried truing the crank and got it nearly straight but it is still binding. I'm not sure if this would be the cause of the binding though because it gets stuck no matter where in the rotation the gear and the bendix engage. It seems like the pulley is overall too close to the bendix and I am not sure why or what to do. Also checked the spot the bendix slides into and it was clean and seemed normal.
I have no idea please help
Wheelman-111

Re: Bendix binding - won't turn over

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

From reading *ONLY*, there are differences in the bendix and starter assemblies between the Spree model years. These differences caused symptoms similar to those you describe. It is possible that some previous owner has swapped in the wrong Bendix. Past posts have dissected the numbers of splines, teeth and dimensions. Perhaps someone with that expertise will opine.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH