97 Honda Elite 50, no electric start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hlub34a
Noob
Noob

97 Honda Elite 50, no electric start

Post by hlub34a »

Honda Elite 50, @ 1300 miles, fresh AGM battery, turn signals, horns, etc. all work, electric start will not work. Can kick-start it and it runs fine, accelerates, shifts, all good. I have the factory manual, but looking for guidance. I have more experience in the auto mech side, and to have a digital multi-meter and large selection of tools. The auto-start did work, but the scooter has been stored a while.. 2 years.
motormike

Re: 97 Honda Elite 50, no electric start

Post by motormike »

Since the scooter has been in storage for a couple years, the problem is very likely a faulty, or corroded connection.
Starter solenoid maybe. Starter button maybe. Ground wire connection maybe. good luck with search
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Raharu
BMX
BMX

Re: 97 Honda Elite 50, no electric start

Post by Raharu »

hlub34a wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:25 pm Honda Elite 50, @ 1300 miles, fresh AGM battery, turn signals, horns, etc. all work, electric start will not work. Can kick-start it and it runs fine, accelerates, shifts, all good. I have the factory manual, but looking for guidance. I have more experience in the auto mech side, and to have a digital multi-meter and large selection of tools. The auto-start did work, but the scooter has been stored a while.. 2 years.
When you push in the starter button, do you hear an audible click from the starter relay? If so, you can rule out the button as the issue. If it's been sitting a while, I bet it's the relay. Those solenoids get corroded pretty easily. Even if you hear the click, it's probably not making contact to complete the circuit.

You can also wire 12v directly to the starter motor to ensure that's not the issue.

Luckily both parts are cheap and readily available. Good luck!