Honda spree only starts with starting fluid

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

80's vibes
Noob
Noob

Honda spree only starts with starting fluid

Post by 80's vibes »

Hey guys. I'm picking up a 1985 honda spree on Wednesday and i've never owned a scooter so i need some advice. The guy i'm buying it from says it runs good without issues but he said it needs starting fluid to fire up. What should i look for to fix this issue? Thanks
motormike

Re: Honda spree only starts with starting fluid

Post by motormike »

Welcome to this forum 80's vibes... :hi:
The typical problem with most any bike that sits for a while is the fuel evaporates from the carburetor,
leaving behind a film of varnish that plugs the jets and passages and mucks up the whole inside.
By your description of how the scooter is said to run, I'd say the pilot jet is plugged, and/or the "bystarter" could be stuck or bad.
You need to spend some time learning about the function of the bystarter.
If you know how to clean a carburetor, great !...but if you don't, you will need to learn.
It is not easy to find anyone who will work on the bike, and expensive labor rates can kill the value of the bike.
Good luck, but sounds like a good buy if you are willing to do some work.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
80's vibes
Noob
Noob

Post by 80's vibes »

Thanks for getting back to me. For the lots of research and limited youtube videos that's those are the only things i could think of as well so by the end of the week i'll give you an update
80's vibes
Noob
Noob

Post by 80's vibes »

Ok so i got the scooter today and it turns on and runs great. It get's up and moves no problem but it just doesn't want to idle on it's own...and advice on that one?
IvyOperator
Noob
Noob

Post by IvyOperator »

80's vibes wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:21 am Ok so i got the scooter today and it turns on and runs great. It get's up and moves no problem but it just doesn't want to idle on it's own...and advice on that one?
You'll have to adjust the idle screw. It's on the side of the carb. Should be a Phillip's head with a spring under it. Mess around with that in small adjustments until you get it to idle on its own.
1985 Spree
- Scooter Swap Shop Speed Pulley
- MLM People's Sidebleed Pipe
- Decked head
- Tuned stock carb
- Ebay cone filter
- SB50 intake and ceed cage
- Carbon fiber reeds
80's vibes
Noob
Noob

Post by 80's vibes »

Hey everyone. You'll never guess what was wrong. I was messing with the idle screw but nothing really changed so i decided to adjust the air mix screw and it was almost closed. She idles on her own just fine now. The only thing that's happening now is it bogs at full throttle. If you don't go full throttle it speeds up fine but won't go past 25. I'm guessing i'll probably have to clean the carb
motormike

Post by motormike »

I am sorry I didn't tell you to start by setting the adjustments to spec. as a first step.
Good work on diagnosing and fixing it.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"