2000 Elite 50 Hard Turning Over

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ramseydog
Noob
Noob

2000 Elite 50 Hard Turning Over

Post by ramseydog »

2000 Elite SR50 with 2400 miles. So last year the scooter started to burn more oil than normal and eventually wouldn't start. Plug was fouled bad and oil was leaking out of the exhaust where it meets the motor. I took all of the plastics off, cleaned the carb, and and now having trouble turning it over. I can get one or 2 revolutions out of it with the electric start and then it won't turn over (tries to) again unless I let it sit for a few seconds. I've replaced the starter and the battery this week. The kick start is basically stuck unless I stand on it completely. Stored inside, not been run in the cold, always filled with fluids, winterized properly, etc. Any suggestions? Open the kick start cover and check it out? Engine seizing? Thanks in advance!
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 2000 Elite 50 Hard Turning Over

Post by vintagegarage »

Turn it over 20 revolutions with the spark plug removed. Install the spark plug and try again.
ramseydog
Noob
Noob

Post by ramseydog »

Thanks for the info. I did that and it spit out a bunch of oil mixture, looked oilier than it should be. Installed the plug and after another dozen or so cranks it started to bind up again. Any ideas? Weak spark maybe or still too rich?
IvyOperator
Noob
Noob

Post by IvyOperator »

ramseydog wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:12 am Thanks for the info. I did that and it spit out a bunch of oil mixture, looked oilier than it should be. Installed the plug and after another dozen or so cranks it started to bind up again. Any ideas? Weak spark maybe or still too rich?
Check your oil pump, and look in the bottom of the crankcase, might have failed and poured all the oil into your case
1985 Spree
- Scooter Swap Shop Speed Pulley
- MLM People's Sidebleed Pipe
- Decked head
- Tuned stock carb
- Ebay cone filter
- SB50 intake and ceed cage
- Carbon fiber reeds
ramseydog
Noob
Noob

Post by ramseydog »

I'll definitely check that in the next few days. A new pump looks to be about $65. Do you think it's just slowly leaking oil into the craankcase? Thanks to both of you for help!
motormike

Post by motormike »

ramseydog wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:44 pm I'll definitely check that in the next few days. A new pump looks to be about $65. Do you think it's just slowly leaking oil into the craankcase? Thanks to both of you for help!

Yes, I think that is what they are pointing to.
Pump o-ring fails, dumping oil into the cylinder and below, causing the muffler to fill also, usually.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ramseydog
Noob
Noob

Post by ramseydog »

Finally got a chance to get the pump out, easier than I thought. Do I need to open the crankcase and drain it or can I just use an oil extractor to take it out or kick it over a bunch to push it out? Also do you know if the o-rings are replaceable or do you suggest a new pump?
IvyOperator
Noob
Noob

Post by IvyOperator »

ramseydog wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:15 pm Finally got a chance to get the pump out, easier than I thought. Do I need to open the crankcase and drain it or can I just use an oil extractor to take it out or kick it over a bunch to push it out? Also do you know if the o-rings are replaceable or do you suggest a new pump?
I can't recommend turning the engine over without the oil pump, seems too risky for damage. You could use an oil extractor, something as simple as a food syringe and a tube to get the bulk out. Then just let the residual burn off with time. Many people actually do intentionally delete their oil pumps, there are some threads on here about that, as well as plugging the new hole from a removed pump. Then they pre-mix the oil and gas in the tank. Pumps should be replaceable, check ebay or a honda parts dealer.

Do some research on it before you do either way, see what will work for you.
1985 Spree
- Scooter Swap Shop Speed Pulley
- MLM People's Sidebleed Pipe
- Decked head
- Tuned stock carb
- Ebay cone filter
- SB50 intake and ceed cage
- Carbon fiber reeds
ramseydog
Noob
Noob

Post by ramseydog »

Hey thank you for the info. I saw there was an option for pre mixing but it's my wife's scooter so I'll have to be on top of mixing it for her. I've deleted some VRO pumps on boat motors so I'm hopeful I can get it done on this guy. I will update the forum when I figure out what will work for me.
ramseydog
Noob
Noob

Post by ramseydog »

Alright so I ended up finding more options info online but decided to be cheap and grind down the gears on the bad pump, plug the lines on it, and the line on the carb. I pre-mixed 32:1 but it fouled the crap out of the plug and would not start. I regapped the plug since it was wrong and adjusted the mix screw on the carb. Could get it to fire but only run a few seconds. I figured the mix was too oily so I mixed some 50:1 and added it to the tank to water it down a bit more and that worked great. It fires up immediately and runs smoothly but does have some bogging issues on hills, from stop, etc. Do you think I need to continue to try and tune the carb in or does it need a different jet? Thanks for all the help.