1988 Honda elite e 49 cc

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bigballo
Noob
Noob

1988 Honda elite e 49 cc

Post by bigballo »

hi all
just found this site and thought I would give it a try. We have a elite e scooter that was stored in a mini barn for 25 years or so with gas in the tank.It belonged to my late father in law.I retired and got a little bored so I pulled it out and stared cleaning everything up (as you can imagine) I used krud kutter parts cleaner in the gas tank and the carb. let it soak overnight,scrubbed it with a nylon bottle brush and soaked again.everything appears to be clean , bought a new gasket for the gas cap,new fuel lines,new spark plug,no luck finding any gaskets or parts for the carb. SO hears my problem I can get it to start with feathering the gas, but can't get it to idle,if I hold the throttle I can keep it running ( ran it for 15 min.) but cant get it to idle.
Set the air mixture screw to 13/4 and the idle to 51/2 turns my initial thought was the bystarter which is also discontinued ,can't keep it running long enough to adjust.any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Daryl
motormike

Re: 1988 Honda elite e 49 cc

Post by motormike »

It is very likely that the pilot jet is NOT OPEN.
Probably still clogged with varnished gas.
It takes some more cleaning.
Very common to do it 3-4 times before getting it open.
I always test a carb that I've cleaned before I put it back on.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

thanks for the reply
Ill check it again, I could see light through it but doesn't hurt to double check.
motormike

Post by motormike »

bigballo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:46 pm thanks for the reply
Ill check it again, I could see light through it but doesn't hurt to double check.
The additional problem of debris passing through the system can easily come along and clogg those jets and passages again. Usually easier to clear than the original cleaning. Good luck.
RideRed
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

Pull the carburetor and went through it again, bought a can of air spray ,spray all ports every nook and cranny I could fined still won’t idle anybody have another suggestion thanks
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Did you pull out the emulsion tube and make sure those tiny holes are clear? Hows the rubber float needle tip or the seat? A proper seal there is critical for runability. How are the rubber o-ring seals around the carb and intake? Even if they arent leaking fuel they could be sucking air. Check every connection.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

Hello
yes I did pull the emulsion tube and checked all the little holes (it actually dropped out when I was blow through),I'm not sure on the rubber tip to me it looks like new but this is my first one so not 100%, from pics I've seen on the internet it appears to be fine. I thought about the 0 rings , actually everything in the carburetor , made a trip to the local honda sports center to buy a rebuild kit, found out they only made this carb for 2 years and there where no parts available. so if anything is bad its done. I did just order a china carb hoping it will work or I can use some parts like the 0 rings to fix the old one. appreciate the reply and any other advice, would prefer to use the original carb but it's not looking good thanks again
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

I do have an other question ,while I was at the Honda dealer they gave me a diagram of the carburetor ,the air/fuel mixing screw in the diagram has what appears to be 2 small O rings in front of the spring (one appears to be larger than the other) , mine when I took it apart only had 1 O ring could that be the problem? the diagram list it as 16016-GS6-003 SCREW SET no other description. thanks
motormike

Post by motormike »

bigballo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:20 pm the air/fuel mixing screw in the diagram has what appears to be 2 small O rings in front of the spring
Negative...that is ONE O-ring and ONE flat washer
RideRed
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

so looks like I'm missing a washer. Can you tell me what size and material (plastic , teflon ,brass, steel) this washer is. thanks
motormike

Post by motormike »

bigballo wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:17 am so looks like I'm missing a washer. Can you tell me what size and material (plastic , teflon ,brass, steel) this washer is. thanks
The washer is steel, but I have none to compare, sorry.
RideRed
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

thanks will have to do some digging to see what I can find ,so is it steel washer, rubber o ring ,spring or o ring ,washer ,spring ? the diagram I have looks like the washer would go on the end followed by the o ring then spring but its a copy of a copy with nothing labeled thanks again
motormike

Post by motormike »

As you look at the diagram, the order of assembly, from left to right is:
O-RING---WASHER---SPRING
RideRed
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

thanks I found a 4# washer that I think will work Going to go put it back together again and see
motormike

Post by motormike »

bigballo wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:37 pm thanks I found a 4# washer that I think will work Going to go put it back together again and see
Make sure the inside diameter is sufficient to allow the metering needle to pass through.
RideRed