1988 Honda elite e 49 cc

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bigballo
Noob
Noob

Re: 1988 Honda elite e 49 cc

Post by bigballo »

that didn't do it, still wont idle however I was able to ride around the neighborhood as long as I kept the throttle turned slightly when stopped.
motormike

tube of Re: 1988 Honda elite e 49 cc

Post by motormike »

At this point, I feel confident that the pilot vacuum passage is not open.
This passage allows incoming air to pass through the passage, and across the pilot jet to create a draw on the pilot jet.
The jet can be open and clear as you have verified, but if this passage is still blocked, turning the mixture screw will not have any affect
on idle, and the engine will run, but not idle.
REMOVE mixture screw, spring, washer and O-ring.
INSERT tube of spray-can (carb cleaner) into the opening for that mixture screw.(insert all the way and hold tight against bottom of hole)
SPRAY a short blast into that hole and OBSERVE the pilot opening in the throat of the carb.
You SHOULD see the carb cleaner squirt into the throat. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES ! !
After confirming that flow, find the hole in the carb opening(airbox end of carb)
SQUIRT carb cleaner into THAT hole and observe flow at the opening for the mixture screw.
SHOULD be flow of carb cleaner in ALL the described passages...IF NOT, it will not idle.
Any questions, just ask and I will try to help...motor
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

good call on the safety glasses, had the cab cleaner everywhere. Got it to idle ,it was ruff ( sounded like a mini harley) until it warmed up then died. let it sit 5 min. and it would start idle ruff for a couple min. and die. When its warmed up, it takes a slight turn of the throttle to keep it running. I did try adjusting the mix/air screw in and out seemed to idle a little better, still ruff, but better running the screw out. tried the top idle screw (starting at 5 turns out ) 2 turns in it dies, 2 out had no effect. I appreciate your help, I'm sure it something simple I'm just missing it.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Please go back and read motormike's first reply to you. IMHO, you are trying to make your SB50 idle on the main jet, as your idle jet is still blocked up. Clean the jet out with a "High E" guitar string you can get at any music shop and stop thinking carb cleaner will clean it. Note the right angle at the top of the jet that prohibits you from pushing the wire all the way out the top of the jet. Note also the length of the wire and compare it to the length of the jet. The right angle is at the very top. Keep pushing on the wire until you get it all the way up to the right angle. When your idle jet is clean, the engine will idle fine, and when you screw in the idle mixture screw all the way in, the idling engine will stop. You should be able to back out the idle speed screw several turns from where you have it now. Look inside the carb venturi and watch the slide as you turn in and out the idle speed screw. If the screw is so far in that you can see it lifting the slide, it is too far in. The idle speed screw should lift the slide an almost an imperceptible amount.
bigballo
Noob
Noob

Post by bigballo »

She idling and running strong. just want to say a big thank you to motor Mike ,vintage garage and who ever did the wiki pics. would have never got her up and running without there incite.
motormike

Post by motormike »

bigballo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:10 pm She idling and running strong. just want to say a big thank you to motor Mike ,vintage garage and who ever did the wiki pics. would have never got her up and running without there incite.
Alrighty then,...glad to hear, but can you tell us what exactly you think it was that had you stumped ? We'd like to know.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"