‘85 spree turns over and is very close to starting but won’t start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Maxspree
Noob
Noob

‘85 spree turns over and is very close to starting but won’t start

Post by Maxspree »

TLDR: spree is turning over seems like it’s very close to starting but won’t. When I manually choke the air it doesn’t like it. When I give it a tiny bit of gas it bogs down. Carb recently cleaned. New battery. Please help.

Full story: I rode up this long sustained hill for about 5 miles. Then I went down the hill I turned the bike off downhill because it would go faster in neutral than the engine could go. Then when the hill got less steep I started it and was going down the hill full throttle 35mph for about a mile or two. The bike then felt like when you are going fast in a car and then suddenly downshift. It lurched forward and shut off. I had to push it home cuz it wouldn’t start.
When I got home I checked everything and thought maybe I fouled the plug. New plug. Same thing, doesn’t start.
Took it to the small shop I bought the scooter from. The one guy is super nice and helpful. Told me it was the CDI and my battery wasn’t charged enough. so he gave me a new one. He put a jumper on the battery and the scooter started almost right away. Then I get home hang out. Go to ride the scooter again and it did the same thing. Turning over great sounds like it really wants to start but won’t. Then today I got it to start by giving it a tiny bit of gas while it was turning over. Rode around a little bit and my acceleration is half of what it used to be. Get back home try to start it again later and it’s doing the same thing except now when choking or giving it gas it just wants to die. Thanks for your help!