left brake lowers idle speed at rest

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fmplatt@gmail.com
Noob
Noob

left brake lowers idle speed at rest

Post by fmplatt@gmail.com »

Hi I was curious if its normal for the idle speed to lower when the left brake lever is activated at rest. I recently replaced the auto bystarter and it now starts right up without having to rev it up. But if I let it warm up a few minutes in pretty warm weather, it still wants to stall when coming to the first stop light. I noticed today that the engine idle speed lowers, like its under some kind of load, when I grab the left brake lever at a stop light.

'00 Honda Elite 80
motormike

Re: left brake lowers idle speed at rest

Post by motormike »

It is common...the electrical circuit is being strained when you apply the brake and the brake-light comes on. This tends to pull amperage and will reduce the current being supplied to the charging circuit. That's the best explanation I can offer, but again, not uncommon. Your battery may be getting old and requiring more current from the engines charging circuit, causing a slight strain. Make sure your throttle stop screw is set for an idle speed sufficient to keep the engine from dying when coming to a stop. Not sure about rpm's, but likely 1,200-1,400 will be good.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Re: left brake lowers idle speed at rest

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda specs are 1800 for idle speed on AF series 2-strokes. Check your rear pulley bearings - the ones that let the driven pulley free-wheel on the clutch shaft. If they're "sticky" it might cause the symptom you describe on the center stand.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH