NH80 Ignition Issues?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

BadgerBoy787
Noob
Noob

NH80 Ignition Issues?

Post by BadgerBoy787 »

Hello,

I have a 1983 Honda NH80 that I inherited that I have been working on. I have always been able to start it (using the kickstarter because I have not gotten a new battery yet). I last rode it a couple weeks ago. Last weekend I tried to start it and I am getting nothing.

Since I last rode it, I reinstalled the seat release locking mechanism (lock cylinder had broken free and I had to do a JB weld repair on it :smile: ). I was going to take off the carburetor and start a tear down and cleaning ( and replace the original 88 jet with a 90 jet - tip I picked up in this forum), so I took off the carburetor top, but then I thought I would wait to start that project. I reinstalled the top making sure to line up the groove with the Stop Screw.

Really not sure what I could have done to kill it. Spark plug is making spark and is wet. I am guessing that I have a broken wire in the wire bundle that runs in the area of the seat lock that I had to move out of the way when I reinstalled the lock. Is there an easy way to check for this? ( I am really bad when it comes to electrical issues ). I visually looked at all the connections and they look good. Can I temporarily bypass the electrical wires that come from the ignition to see if the scooter will start with the kickstarter?
motormike

Re: NH80 Ignition Issues?

Post by motormike »

BadgerBoy787 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:05 pm Hello,

I reinstalled the top making sure to line up the groove with the Stop Screw.
Right there's a big problem.
The long groove does NOT align with the stop screw.
Exactly the opposite, it aligns with a small tab that is 180 degrees from the stop screw.
The stop screw should be aligned with the notch toward the bottom of the slide that has a ramp.
Do you follow my description ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
BadgerBoy787
Noob
Noob

Re: NH80 Ignition Issues?

Post by BadgerBoy787 »

Thank you thank you thank you :bowrofl:

That did the trick. Once I zoomed up on Page 43 of the shop manual I could see the groove in the throttle valve. I was looking at the illustration at the top of page 43 and thought that is what they meant by "groove".

I will probably tackle the removal and overhaul of the carburetor in a couple weeks. Since I am pretty sure this will be the first carb work done in almost 40 years, I am thinking I should get a rebuild kit. I have seen some cheap Chinese ones on Ebay for under $10, but looks like this one from Keyster (KH-03013N) available on Amazon should work, and it is Japanese built.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HM5HKW/?c ... _lig_dp_it

If you have any insights on carb rebuild kits, I would appreciate it. I already have the 90 Main Jet that I bought a while ago. Also got Boyesen reeds.