Engine Low Power, Bogs Down When Accelerating Hard

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

chungut240
Noob
Noob

Engine Low Power, Bogs Down When Accelerating Hard

Post by chungut240 »

I'm trying to figure out why my honda aero 80 keeps bogging down at 3/4 throttle and max throttle.
It ran fine before I took the cvt apart to check the belt and rollers.
I didn't put the back plate on the front pulley, so maybe that's the issue.
I checked the rollers again and they are fine and in place.
I've went through the carb and replaced the fuel filter, but only cleaned the main jet because everything else was working fine before.
Fuel flow seems great when the tank is pressurized, so that looks good too me.
I have a feeling it's the cdi, but i don't know.
The plug is new,
One other thing (after all of that) I went to start it up and the carb was full of fuel.
It refused to start for good minute and was just flooding itself.
Would not start without full throttle for awhile, not sure why or how,
probably should've cleaned the carb all the way.
I have a big suspicion it's something else because it only sat for a few days, and does not bog unless it's around 35mph.
motormike

Re: Engine Low Power, Bogs Down When Accelerating Hard

Post by motormike »

Mr chungut240:
I have taken your comment out of that thread, and given it a place of it's own in the appropriate category.
Regardless of what you have done to the CVT, the issue of bogging and flooding is strictly a carburetor issue, imho.
Diagnosing further is not possible from my location without more info.
What do you mean when you say "fuel flow looks good when tank is pressurized" ?

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
chungut240
Noob
Noob

Post by chungut240 »

Thanks, it has all of the power though untill it gets too around 34 mph and I meant it doesn't seem to be a vacuum issue sounds rich or like the or like it's not getting enough spark almost on the high rpms , could be the float but idk
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

chungut240 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:06 pm Thanks, it has all of the power though untill it gets too around 34 mph and I meant it doesn't seem to be a vacuum issue sounds rich or like the or like it's not getting enough spark almost on the high rpms , could be the float but idk
Be absolutely sure the spark plug cap is making good contact to your correctly installed NGK spark plug, if not better, then try swapping out the cdi for a known good cdi and if that don't work, test your coil and lead wire. But only change one thing at a time so you know what the problem was. Be systematic about it. Float may also be an issue. Is it a stock, original carburetor?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
chungut240
Noob
Noob

Post by chungut240 »

Yes it is the stock carb, I just cleaned the carb out again ,float works fine, and I'm about too try it again, I don't have a new cdi yet but I'm gonna order one, I have 2 other coils that will work but I haven't tried them yet, that's what I'm doing next then I'll take it for a test soon, - update its running great now not 100% sure on what the problem was but it's fixed now it hits the normal 40 mph now and I can actually tell it's running rich, but another thing that probably affected it was the spark plug being loose, that was not always the case though
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Doesn't sound like cdi. Petcock, fuel filter, fuel tank cap, and carb needle valve control fuel flow. Carb flooding very common, especially if petcock is original. New petcock and polished needle seat usually correct it. Expect some fluttering at full throttle, especially if it's an 83-84. Some say a larger main jet but I've found the Boyesen reeds help more...
Good luck
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
chungut240
Noob
Noob

Post by chungut240 »

Thanks, I've went through a top end since then it was bogging because the piston circlip came off inside the engine anyways new top end now and it ran greats for like 10 miles untill I came on a stop sign and it died, it idles fine maybe even too low and bogs very bad when I give it any throttle I put it on the stand and it does the same, when it first started happening it would actually rev up on the stand but very slow and boggy, my friend told me it could be my clutch springs and contra springs are worn out but I'd like too see some more opinions before I spend any more money and time on it, carb is still very clean and has a new belt reeds and cdi, pls help
chungut240
Noob
Noob

Post by chungut240 »

It has power now I realized there was a screwdriver melted into the exhaust that was there to hold a bungee cord away from it and that's why it was bogging, just didn't have enough exaust flow, still boggs though but nowhere near as much not sure if it has an airleak I'll do a leak down test when I get some starting fluid