Need more air - jetting

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mitchlong432
Noob
Noob

Need more air - jetting

Post by mitchlong432 »

Hello all,

Just got my 87' elite 50S running after years of sitting. I've had this baby since I was 19 (I'm 32 now) and it has a lot of sentimental value, so I'm finally restoring it.

The issue I'm having is air/fuel ratio related. I've had to totally remove my air screw on the carb for it to run correctly, but I don't want to leave that port open and potentially pull in dirt. It seems I don't have the right jet installed. Years ago I ordered a carb rebuild kit and have no idea of the correct size main jet that I need. Everything else is stock, but I have replaced the bystarter and installed new piston/rings. Just flushed the oil system with Honda Pro GN2. Like I mentioned, it's running fairly well, however it won't idle unless the idle screw is all the way in, which causes it to idle a little too high - higher than in the past when everything was working as it should. Even a quarter turn causes it to die. I'm fairly confident jetting is the issue, but wanted to get some expert opinions on what y'all might think could be the cause. Thanks in advance!
motormike

Re: Need more air - jetting

Post by motormike »

Based on your description, and not knowing if the main jet and pilot are stock, but assuming they are close, I'd say that the pilot jet is plugged with varnished gas is the first choice. Second choice is that the air inlet in the throat of the carburetor that feeds the adjustment screw is plugged with debris, maybe from a deteriorated air filter. Do a thorough inspection and cleaning of those two items, and before you re-assemble, inspect and clean any of the rest of the carb that you deem needed. Always test your cleaning work. My method of testing is to take a can of spray cleaner with the tiny tube that comes with it, and use great caution squirting through the jets and passages that must be open to perform properly. Please wear safety glasses when testing. Good luck and report back with your findings....motor
NOTE: When spraying into the air inlet for the adjustment screw, screw should be in place and open 3 turns at least to allow flow. You must observe flow in the throat of the carb from the orifice that is above the pilot jet...it is teeny-weeny, but a clean carb will show good flow.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"