1985 Honda Spree Won't Fire

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SunnyBeets
Noob
Noob

1985 Honda Spree Won't Fire

Post by SunnyBeets »

Hello folks!

Forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'm still very much a newbie and don't know a lot about vehicles yet.
I made a post a while ago about a semi-functional scooter I'd bought a few months ago. Everyone who replied to that post was incredibly helpful, and I got a good direction for what my priorities in fixing it up should be. Despite all its issues, it still started up and ran fairly well. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case, and I'm unsure of what's happened. I got into a situation where I left it sitting for approximately three weeks in a shed during a cold snap. Afterwards, my scooter would not start up. The engine is turning over, but not firing, and so is not starting up. I replaced both flat tires (not exactly relevant, but it was something I needed to do on it anyways) and removed, disassembled, and cleaned the carburetor, hoping that maybe it was dirty and that that was the source of the issue. However, it was surprisingly clean it doesn't seem to be, as the problem persists in the same way it did previously.

It had fresh gas and oil in it at the start of the three week inactivity. Is still full on oil and has about 4/5th of the tank full (lots of attempts at getting it to fire seems to have lowered the gas slightly).

Foes anyone have suggestions for this problem? Has anyone else had a similar experience? My next step will be to check the spark plug to make sure it's actually sparking. If that isn't the problem, what could be?

:peace: Thank you for reading! :peace:
Tourin28

Re: 1985 Honda Spree Won't Fire

Post by Tourin28 »

Hi there,

It sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting and have some good ideas of what could be causing the issue with your scooter not starting. Checking the spark plug is definitely a good next step, as it could be a simple issue of a faulty spark plug.

Another thing to consider is the battery. If the battery is old or weak, it may not have had enough power to start the scooter after sitting for three weeks in the cold. You could try charging the battery or replacing it altogether.

It's also possible that there is a fuel delivery issue, such as a clogged fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump. If the spark plug and battery checks out, it may be worth looking into these areas as well.

Overall, it's great that you're taking the initiative to try and fix your scooter yourself. It's a great way to learn more about vehicles and save money on repairs. Best of luck with your troubleshooting!