1997 Honda Elite 50, float height

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ehaughn
Noob
Noob

1997 Honda Elite 50, float height

Post by ehaughn »

Hello,

I have a 1997 honda elite 50. Acccording to the manual, the float height is 12.2mm.

My scoot only has 131 miles. In cleaning the carburetor, I measured the height and it is around 13mm

Any thoughts on if this is an issue? I find it hard to believe being such low mileage, the float height would have changed. If anything, I would have thought it would be less than 12.2mm and not more.

Higher the measurement, would indicate less fuel in the bowl.
ehaughn
Noob
Noob

Re: 1997 Honda Elite 50, float height

Post by ehaughn »

Here is a pic
Attachments
Screenshot_20230405-110043_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230405-110043_Gallery.jpg (352.95 KiB) Viewed 750 times
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Does your scooter run? Adjustment is not available on the stock oem SA50 model. Search for the "service manual" and get acquainted with your new ride. These are not as plentiful as they once were so if you take care of it properly, it will serve you well for many years or at least until this country outlaws and prohibits gasoline engine powered vehicles....
:peace: HERE is the link! viewforum.php?f=11
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
ehaughn
Noob
Noob

Post by ehaughn »

Bought the scooter non-running. So, I have not tried to start it as I am waiting on a gasket kit. Figured I would check all the specs and measurements. Notice the float was not within spec. Unfortuntately, there is no range, just a measurement of 12.2mm
motormike

Post by motormike »

I think I would leave it as is, and then once you've got it running, make sure it doesn't starve at full throttle on a long run.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

bonesv wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:08 am Adjustment is not available on the stock oem SA50 model.
^^This^^…dont try to bend the plastic tab on the float. It wont stay where you bend it anyways or it was just snap off. Ask me how I know.

Inspect the float needle tip and seat for gunk buildup. This will change the float height. Clean the seat with q-tip soaked in your cleaning solvent of choice. If the rubber needle tip is mis-shapen and not a perfect cone shape…replace it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ehaughn
Noob
Noob

Post by ehaughn »

Thanks for the tips.

Carburetor is completely clean. Maybe the float was originally out of spec? Only has 131 miles, hard to believe either the float or inlet needle is worn.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

With 131 miles, the scoot has been sitting unused for many years. Any residual fuel has turned to a hard varnish gunk. It gums up the tiniest of crevices like the pilot circuit, bowl vent and even locks up the little spring peg on the float needle. Ive even seen the in-tank filter completely sealed by dried fuel. Unfortunately, the petcock cant be serviced since its a sealed unit and must be replaced if it goes wonky.

I suggest getting it put together after a thorough cleaning and run it. Things like float height out-of-spec may be a non-issue if it runs fine. Basic stuff like spark plug, air filter, etc..should be replaced. All rubber parts like tires, drive belt, o-rings and even float needle should be replaced due to age…not wear. The rubber dries out and becomes useless from just sitting.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.