87 spreee not staying running.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Squ1r3
Noob
Noob

87 spreee not staying running.

Post by Squ1r3 »

Hello everyone! I'm facing some trouble with my 87 Spree. It starts up, but then it sputters and dies. It had been running smoothly for a while, and then this issue suddenly occurred. I initially suspected the carburetor, so I bought a new one and installed it, but the problem persisted. I then removed the fuel line from the petcock and noticed that there was no fuel flowing. I cleaned it out and put it back together, hoping it would fix the issue, but unfortunately, the problem remains. I haven't replaced the spark plug yet, so I'm considering that as a potential culprit. I hope I've explained my situation clearly, and I would appreciate any help or suggestions!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 87 spreee not staying running.

Post by Meatball »

Theres two hoses on the petcock. Apply suction to one and the fuel flows in the other. Its normal that no fuel flows without vacuum.

Buying a new carb is not recommended since the cheap replacement carbs you get on Ebay for $20 are junk and never run right. The absolute best carb for the Spree is the original one. Clean and/or rebuild it for best results.

You never mentioned about how many miles are on it, what condition the air filter is in or what the spark plug looks like. 9 times out of 10 the issues with Sprees are very cheap and simple. Thats what makes them great when left in original stock form.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.