Fuel petcock with "reserve"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Fuel petcock with "reserve"

Post by zz28zz »

Trying to get an old 1987 Honda Elite 50 going after sitting abt 17 years with fuel and oil in tanks. Gas tank was a mess. Lots of rust. Got it cleaned up along with the carb. Haven't messed with oil tank yet. Either fuel or oil or both got into crankcase. Enough got in there to liquid lock eng. Flipped scooter upside down and turned crank back and forth. That got a lot out. Filled crankcase with fresh pre-mix, flipped scooter upside down again and repeated turning crank back and forth to flush out whatever was in there. Did this 4 times. Hooked-up jumper pack and elec starter works great. Still spitting fuel out the sparkplug hole and passages where reed valves mount. Blew compressed air thru spark plug hole (with piston down) and out the reed valve openings (reeds removed). The pre-mix just keeps coming out. Getting good spark but if I install plug and crank it over, it just wets the plug and doesn't show any signs of life. May have to wait it out and let the fuel trapped in crankcase evaporate.

While I'm waiting on that, I'm now looking for a fuel petcock, fuel lines and a aftermarket fuel filter. Current fuel petcock is a vac operated unit but has a piece broken off. Was curious if there's a manual petcock available with a reserve setting like most old-school motorcycles had. If not, any recommendations on what brands of vac operated petcocks to look for or avoid? What size is the fuel line? Got some 1/8" line but it's too small for fuel nipple. (Fit good on oil inj nipple at intake). Couldn't find any bulk metric fuel line locally so I'll need to order some online. 4.5mm maybe??
motormike

Re: Fuel petcock with "reserve"

Post by motormike »

I think you might be shooting in the dark trying to find the petcock you describe. I certainly don't know of any. However, you can probably find a fitting to fit the threads on the tank, one that will allow you to have a short piece of hard line. Then, attach clear fuel line to that, and install an inline fuel shut-off available at any Ace hardware...lawnmower. . style by Briggs and Stratton. They're only about $8, and I've done it a few times. Put your filter inline too.
Attachments
Briggs shutoff.jpg
Briggs shutoff.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Yeah, figured it was long shot. If I can't get a reserve type, I'll probably just go with some Amazon/ebay vac operated. Trying to find one that's the right size.
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Still waiting on vac petcock to arrive but got the scooter running using a home made fuel delivery sys. Discovered needle won't seat and carb floods. Looking for a replacement needle for the stock keihin carb. Anyone found a good source for replacement?
Johnp891
Noob
Noob

Post by Johnp891 »

I just put one on my 85 spree. It was like $14 on eBay. Works great. I’ll see if I can find the link to the one I bought
Johnp891
Noob
Noob

Post by Johnp891 »

This is the one I recently put on my spree. Works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185971100117?h ... R76Tjse5Yg
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

Johnp891 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:04 pm This is the one I recently put on my spree. Works great.

Dang, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I've already bought a vac operated petcock. Thx for the link.
Willem
Noob
Noob

Post by Willem »

Johnp891 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:04 pm This is the one I recently put on my spree. Works great.

Noticed this ebay ad says its for 86/87 NQ50… would it work on the 85 NQ50? Is there any reason it shouldn’t?
BROOM BROOm
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The ebay ones are a crapshoot. Different years Spree’s have different thread pitch on the tank bung. The ebay sellers are 75% inaccurate on fitment. I say this because I had to buy 4 different petcocks from 4 different sellers before I got one with the correct threads.

I made the rookie mistake of trying to thread on the wrong one and totally jacked the threads on the gas tank. Hard lesson learned.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Willem
Noob
Noob

Post by Willem »

Meatball wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:40 pm The ebay ones are a crapshoot. Different years Spree’s have different thread pitch on the tank bung. The ebay sellers are 75% inaccurate on fitment. I say this because I had to buy 4 different petcocks from 4 different sellers before I got one with the correct threads.

I made the rookie mistake of trying to thread on the wrong one and totally jacked the threads on the gas tank. Hard lesson learned.
Ouch. Thank you for the info, I will be sure to be careful if/when I decide to try and get one… that’s super irritating. I feel like it’s worth it though to better keep fuel out of the carb for winterizing.
BROOM BROOm
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

For reasons known only to Honda-san, the tank nipple size changed in 1987 across the line-up, including Sprees, Aeros and Elites.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH