Not getting fuel help!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Not getting fuel help!

Post by Caspervolas »

1988 Honda Elite AF16 swap

The last thing I have to do to my scooter is jet the carb and half way through the process the scooter stopped starting. I look at the fuel filter when I kickstart it and no fuel comes through but when I take the fuel line off the carb and kick fuel comes out. Why is fuel not going into the carb? My first thought was to replace the fuel filter and tubing but I don’t know. Brand new petcock and carb, I can’t seem to find a solution.

Thanks,
Casper
Wheelman-111

Re: Not getting fuel help!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Stuck or blocked float valve?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Try to start it while shooting a couple blasts of starting fluid into the carb at the airbox connection. If it fires but immediately dies..that narrows it down. Ive never seen a float needle stuck in the seat unless the bike has been sitting for 10yrs but its possible. It could also be a plugged idle circuit with a crumb or metal shaving you picked up during assembly. You said its a “new” carb and Im hoping its not a cheap chinese $20 ebay special. They have major casting flaws and loose manufacturing tolerances that render many of them complete junk out of the box. I saw one arrive so bad the bowl wouldnt even fit on it. Theyre great for use as a paperweight or doorstop but I wouldnt put one on anything I ride.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

It’s polini and I don’t think the float is stuck although I’ll probably still check it and clean the carb. I initially thought no fuel at all came through the lines at all but maybe there is. I’ll hit it with starter fluid tomorrow and get back.
krypton
Noob
Noob

Post by krypton »

maybe you have a uphill kink in your fuel line, and then when you take it off the line straightens and fuel flows. I've had that happen to mine before. If there's any uphill in the fuel line, the fuel will have a hard time coming down since its just gravity fed
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

Ok so I replaced the vacuum and fuel lines as well as a fuel filter and made sure it was all down hill. I also cleaned the carb and I highly doubt the float is stuck. I kick it and I see only a trickle of fuel come out, it’s not even getting to the bowl. What does this mean, where should I start?
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

Ok so I replaced the vacuum and fuel lines as well as a fuel filter and made sure it was all down hill. I also cleaned the carb and I highly doubt the float is stuck. I kick it and I see only a trickle of fuel come out, it’s not even getting to the bowl. What does this mean, where should I start?
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

Additionally, fuel does flow from the tank when it’s disconnected from the carb but not when it’s connected.
Last edited by Caspervolas on Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

You’ve confirmed you have fuel flow when you kick it while the fuel line is disconnected but when the fuel line is connected to the carb and you kick it a bunch…the bowl is still empty? :crazy:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Caspervolas wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:45 am Additionally, fuel does flow from the tank when it’s disconnected from the carb but not when it’s connected.
From your statement,..logic tells me that the float bowl vent is blocked, creating a vacuum that the fuel cannot overcome.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

Meatball that is exactly what happens. Motormike, thank you I will look into that.
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

Update: After kicking a couple times I can confirm there is fuel in the bowl although it only seems like it’s trickling in. Haven’t got it to start yet but I’m gonna hit it with some starter fluid and see what happens.
krypton
Noob
Noob

Post by krypton »

to make sure fuel is flowing to your carb from the tank, put some suction on the vacuum line, the other one that comes from under the tank, and the fuel should start freely flowing. it trickles down every time some suction comes from the manifold, every time the motor makes a revolution from the compression of the piston; actually its the bottom but you get my drift, so it will trickle and stop until the motors going at running rpms.
just take and put some suction on the vacuum line while the other lines unhooked and verify that fuel flows when you add suction. then the question is why isn't your carb getting full. as mm said, seems the vent lines are blocked, then.
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

There is fuel in the bowl, sorry for being confusing but I recently opened the float drain and fuel came out. I’m thinking the bowl needs to be filled more to start, I’ve heard it takes a while to fill it from empty. Or there just isn’t enough vacuum to start it. I’ve confirmed, the float needle and bowl vents are clear, petcock works fine, the fuel and vacuum lines are fine, fuel flows to the bowl. It’s still hasn’t started yet.
krypton
Noob
Noob

Post by krypton »

grab the vacuum line when the carb bowl is empty, suck on it until you don't hear any more fuel trickling into the bowl or just a while until the bowls full. then you'll have gas. it should be full. you done a float level check?