1984 nq50 honda spree cranks but doesnt start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Zitzmp7
Noob
Noob

1984 nq50 honda spree cranks but doesnt start

Post by Zitzmp7 »

hello, i just recently picked up a "1984" nq50 spree. the reason i put quotes is because it has a 1984 lower end, 1985 upper, and 1986 electrical. the extent of where the parts switch is unknown to me, but i assume its a 84 case, and drivetrain, 85 head and possibly piston, and 86 electrical. all stock oem parts, besides a bpr6hs ngk spark plug. It ran terrible at first, but wot treatment helped unclog it a bunch and revived it to about 80% power. when i rode it would bog down at 25 mph, but would eventually get up to around 33mph at wide open. I was riding it, at wot, for about a quarter mile, and i heard a pretty noticeable bang, but not like my engine blew up, almost sounded like an electrical explosion. but it ran for about 5 - 10 seconds after the bang, then died. when i tried starting it back up, the engine just cranked and cranked, but it did not sound like it had any intents on starting. took it home, its got compression, its got spark, and its getting pretty good air n gas. just doesnt start anymore. if it helps, my brake lights worked prior to the explosion, now they dont. all 4 blinkers and horn still work fine. any ideas?
motormike

Re: 1984 nq50 honda spree cranks but doesnt start

Post by motormike »

Replace your brake light lamp...it is very possibly the only thing wrong....must be working for the scooter run....Honda made it that way for safety.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Zitzmp7
Noob
Noob

Post by Zitzmp7 »

Hey mike, picked up some new bulbs today and put them in, which fixed my running light, but she still doesn’t start. It was like when I put the bulb in it got a little extra motive to fully start, but didn’t. My battery feels weak, maybe that’s the issue?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If the battery is weak and wont spin the motor fast enough to get going, you can hook up jumper cables to a car battery to give it all the push it needs. Just do NOT have the car running while you do this. A running car will provide 14.4v and your Spree can only handle 12v….keep the car OFF.

Buy a cheap 4LBS battery from ebay for $20.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Zitzmp7
Noob
Noob

Post by Zitzmp7 »

so i hooked it up to the car, with it off, and tried to start it, and it sounded like it was just about to start, but never did. still does not sputter, just turns and turns and turns. i checked the rubber hose to the airbox for leaks, didnt find any, no exhaust leaks, no head gasket leaks, but if i put my hand by the flywheel when i try to start it, i can feel a little push of air. its happening on both sides of the engine, possibly the crank seals? could i have even blown both crank seals simultaneously? i pulled the clutch cover off, and the front pulley, but there is this small spacer gear thing in the way that looks like its just hammered in place. it definitely belongs there, but i cant get it off. the crank seal should be right behind it, but i cant see. any ideas on what it is and how to get it off?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Post a pic of the spacer thing. You’ll need to resize the pic to post it due to file size restrictions.

Your issue could very well be a popped crank seal. Ive had it happen before and the result is the same symptoms you have.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 6cf8e78423

You’ll need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off. They can be had for about $10. Then its just 2 bolts to remove the stator. Easy work…just dont lose the woodruff key.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393962338084?h ... R8KdqZHWYg
Zitzmp7
Noob
Noob

Post by Zitzmp7 »

Update, so when I was trying to diagnose the issue, I put the pulley back together on the crankshaft, now my starter is binding. When I take the pulley off, and try to start it, the starter gear flys out. Is it supposed to do this? Could there possibly be something wrong with the starter?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Zitzmp7 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:58 am so when I was trying to diagnose the issue, I put the pulley back together on the crankshaft
If youre trying to see if the crank seals popped out, why would you put the pulley back on? And why would you take the pulley off and try to start it?

Starter gear (bendix) is held in place by the belt cover. If you have the cover off and try to start it..the bendix will dislodge and bind. Sometimes fly out.
Zitzmp7
Noob
Noob

Post by Zitzmp7 »

Okay, so I never actually started the scooter with the pulley apart, I got as far as the back most pulley, until I needed a puller, which I don’t have right now, so I cleaned up the forward most pulley “gear” (the one in front with teeth) edges, which were pretty rusted. I only took it apart to see if crank seals were bad, which I was unable to see since I don’t have a pulley puller. I just saw some videos about a rusted bendix so maybe that was it. As far as the bendix flying out, I didn’t know the cover holds in in place, I wanted to see what was goin on when I tried starting it
Zitzmp7
Noob
Noob

Post by Zitzmp7 »

another update, got the left side pulleys off to expose the crank seal, there is oil leaking from it, and when i poked it, chunks came out. can only imagine what the right side looks like
does anyone know a good way to get the flywheel off without a puller? i wanna check out the right side seal as well
motormike

Post by motormike »

Zitzmp7 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:53 pm does anyone know a good way to get the flywheel off without a puller? i wanna check out the right side seal as well
I wouldn't even think of trying that...the result is very likely to cause damage to the crankshaft, and then you're in trouble. Be smart, buy/borrow the tool, never look back.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"