1987 Honda Spree idles then dies, difficult restart

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

HondaIntermediate
Noob
Noob

1987 Honda Spree idles then dies, difficult restart

Post by HondaIntermediate »

I got a good deal on this barn-find and I’m working to restore it. It will start right up, maybe idle for 2 minutes or so, then slowly sputter out. Once it dies, it is difficult to get it to start back up again. If I get it on the road, it will die when I decelerate (at stop sign or turning corner).

I have put so much work into this, what else can I try?

Here’s what I’ve done: New battery, new spark plug, new air filter (oiled correctly), air box is closed although it is missing the rubber lid gasket (how important is this for the air mix?), brand new carb x2 + bystarter, new fuel and vacuum lines, new petcock, new in-line filter, new in-tank filter, gas tank cleaned completely out, muffler cleaned completely out.

It seems like a fuel/air issue the way it dies after idling and on decel. Any thoughts?

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail- ... =s0-l75-ft
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1987 Honda Spree idles then dies, difficult restart

Post by Meatball »

Ditch the new carb and rebuild the OEM one. Most replacement carbs that “fit spree” are absolute junk. The airbox gasket might be a small contributor since the box is designed/engineered to flow a certain cfm. My spree ran like garbage with some tiny holes drilled in the lid from a previous owner. Ran better with duct tape over them.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
HondaIntermediate
Noob
Noob

What all will I need to rebuild the OEM? Can I just clean the carb and jets or do I need to replace all gaskets etc..
HondaIntermediate
Noob
Noob

Meatball wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm Ditch the new carb and rebuild the OEM one. Most replacement carbs that “fit spree” are absolute junk. The airbox gasket might be a small contributor since the box is designed/engineered to flow a certain cfm. My spree ran like garbage with some tiny holes drilled in the lid from a previous owner. Ran better with duct tape over them.
I've tried 3 different brand new carbs, I highly doubt the carburetor is the issue. The likelihood of all three being bad is extremely low. What other suggestions do you have?
motormike

Post by motormike »

You didn't mention petcock.
Your issue is probably slow fuel delivery.
Petcock can be the culprit.
Try taking vacuum hose off at the carb and sucking on it to see if fuel is flowing strongly or not.
Also, try this...run it until it dies, then open the drain screw on the float bowl to see if any fuel is in there.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
HondaIntermediate
Noob
Noob

Petcock was replaced as stated in OP. I have an inline fuel filter and can see fuel flowing well.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

HondaIntermediate wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:37 am What all will I need to rebuild the OEM? Can I just clean the carb and jets or do I need to replace all gaskets etc..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361929010182?h ... R4aTuc31Yg

For $20 its worth a shot. Much more sound decision than a $20 china carb with casting flaws and loose manufacturing tolerances. If it doesnt fix your issue, you’ve just eliminated a possibility and now have a rebuilt oem carb that will give you years of reliability.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

HondaIntermediate wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:21 pm Petcock was replaced as stated in OP. I have an inline fuel filter and can see fuel flowing well.
Sorry, I missed that...motor
Attachments
cross-eye.jpg
cross-eye.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"