87 aero 50 choke emulsion tube dislodged?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

87aero50
Noob
Noob

87 aero 50 choke emulsion tube dislodged?

Post by 87aero50 »

Hello all, I have a pair of Aero 50's, one being an 86 and the other is an 87.

While cleaning my 86's carburetor I noticed the choke "choke emulsion tube" being loose and falling out of place and won't sit snug where it should be. I'm having issues with the bike running right when first starting it up and am wondering if this is the issue?. My 87 aero does not have a loose "choke emulsion tube" that falls out of place and runs like a top. It is snug in its place.

Pictures are below of this "choke emulsion tube". And by emulsion tube I mean where the fuel is picked up. I don't know what it's actually called.

First several pictures are of it sitting in the carb and the last one is the tube sitting in my hand for reference.

Thanks in advance
Dillon

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SAYWb3gJCDbvQW4X7
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 87 aero 50 choke emulsion tube dislodged?

Post by Meatball »

The Emulsion Tube goes under the Main Jet.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
87aero50
Noob
Noob

Post by 87aero50 »

I'm aware of that. If you read my whole post I am calling it the "choke emulsion tube" because I am unsure of what to call it.

It's the brass tube where the choke picks up extra fuel that I am talking about. It doesn't fit snuggly where it is and I am wondering if this could be causing an issue.

I will post a video tonight to make it more clear of what I am talking about.
zz28zz
BMX
BMX

Post by zz28zz »

I don't know the actual name for the part but it feeds fuel to the bystarter (choke). I could see a couple of issues if it's loose;
1. Seems like it would suck air instead of pull fuel from the dedicated well built into the float bowl making it run leaner.
2. I believe that same tube is what the bystarter needle seals-up against. If it doesn't seal, fuel would be pulled thru the bystarter circuit all the time making mixture rich after warm-up.

Hard to say which situation would have the greatest effect and at what point but there's a good chance it is causing mixture issues.. Just to complicate things even more, the well where that tube gets fuel is connected to the main float bowl thru a tiny passage. Once the bystarter sucks the fuel out of the well, the well can only re-fill so fast.
87aero50
Noob
Noob

Post by 87aero50 »

Thanks for the reply zz28zz, I thought it was an issue myself.

I ended up buying a clone carb off Amazon and swapped the OEM emulsion tube, main jet, slide and needle into the clone and to my surprise it fired right up and I was able to tune it well enough. Runs great now 😁