Replacing carb on '86 Honda Spree NQ50 but the new part is different?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tastier
Noob
Noob

Replacing carb on '86 Honda Spree NQ50 but the new part is different?

Post by tastier »

Total noob here, but I bought a replacement carburetor for my '86 Spree on ebay from a reputable seller. Double checked the year and model just to make sure. However, the new carb is different and I'm not 100% sure how to hook it up!

I marked three spots on the new carb with arrows that look like they need a hose attached. The top one (with the black covering) looks like maybe that doesn't get attached anyway? And the one on the bottom with the hose attached - that one doesn't have anything hooked up on my current carb. The one on the top-right, I have no idea.

Any ideas are appreciated (or maybe I just got the wrong part?). OR am I better off just cleaning the current carb (yet again) instead of replacing?

MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Re: Replacing carb on '86 Honda Spree NQ50 but the new part is different?

Post by MINICooperS »

Yes, you have the wrong carb and obviously a china-clone . . . I vote for keeping your OEM carb but perhaps you can post pics of the OEM off the bike assembled and then more pics after it's taken apart? Carb "cleaning" means different things to different people.
btw . . . why did you buy a replacement? If you plan on running a bystarter, those old bare wires look suspect.
tastier
Noob
Noob

Post by tastier »

Thanks. Yeah every spring it doesn't start and I end up cleaning the carb (probably because I was using fuel with some ethanol in it?). IDK, it'll run for a summer and then not start again. I figured a "clean" carb would solve my problem, but probably will just introduce more problems.

Yeah I'm also concerned about those wires (the electric starter doesn't work, maybe that's why!)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes the bystarter is on the wrong side of the venturi. It's for an Aero or Elite.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH