wont idle and exsecive smoke

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

roaddog
Noob
Noob

wont idle and exsecive smoke

Post by roaddog »

Ok, here's what I have. I have an 87 Spree that i just picked up that would not run.
It had low compression, so i installed a new top end kit.
I got it to start, but it would not run correctly.
I found it had an aftermarket carb on it.
I got an OEM carb did a complete cleaning, all ports verified with light shining through.
Then I put carb back on and can't get it to idle and will not rev very high until i take the air box top off.
With filter installed, it will rev with good throttle response, but smoking heavily.
roaddog
Noob
Noob

Re: wont idle and exsecive smoke

Post by roaddog »

ok i removed exhoust and bbq with torch till no more sparks continued to come out while blowing compressed air threw reinstalled with no change to the rpms but did help with the smoking it will idle if i hold the throttle open a little looking for any help to what mite be my next thing to try
thanks for any help
motormike

Post by motormike »

roaddog wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am ok i removed exhoust and bbq with torch till no more sparks continued to come out while blowing compressed air threw reinstalled with no change to the rpms but did help with the smoking it will idle if i hold the throttle open a little looking for any help to what mite be my next thing to try
thanks for any help
Next thing, try punctuation...lol
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The first thing I do with every old scooter I get is delete the oil pump and pre-mix fuel 32:1. Its a great system when they work but a nightmare when they dont. This may not be your issue but it eliminates the possibility and stops future headaches. With pre-mix, you KNOW what the mixture is. The pump is always a blind guess.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
roaddog
Noob
Noob

Post by roaddog »

tried having oil pump deleted and run mixed fuel with no change, runs ok on start up then when bystarter closes runs like crap until i take the top off the air box then it will rev and run ok.
thanks for any help