Starting project very soon, any help appreciated!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Starting project very soon, any help appreciated!!

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Okay here we go. I've got a 1985 Honda Spree. I rode it 5 miles on a over 100 degree day, and my oil injector stopped working and it cracked my piston and melted off the top ring, but did not sieze the motor. It cracked my piston in 3 places, and broke off all 4 of it's ears.

I was going to reuse the piston because I could not locate one, but in another post I found a reference to cheapcycleparts.com, which has them as well as .025 and .050 over pistons (overbores are cheaper than stock thou, *?) I'm going with stock because of the 20 or so machine shops within 40 miles of here, either can't punch a 50cc .025 over or, they want a rediculous amount to do it. Here's my questions :

1) With honing the cylinder, adding a new piston and rings, should the engine be broken in?

2)If so, would a 15 mile ride across town with the gas mixed with a little more oil than usual be sufficient while variating speeds ?

3)If I install my piston and rings and attempt to run the scooter without honing the cylinder, which only has light scratches (hardly visible, and one good size gouge at the bottom less than 1/16 inch long from an ear that broke off the piston) and any scratches are toward the very bottom of the cylinder.

4)What tool can I use to hone the cylinder, how long does it take, and should I use any special lubricants while doing so?

5) Is there supposed to be a gasket on either side of the spacer between the carburetor and intake(spacer has a rubber O ring on one side)?

6)How would I go about hooking up a tachometer to this thing?

Well that's all for now, if I need anything else I'll post it. Thanks to all those who are contributing to me getting my scoot going BEFORE it's too cold to ride ;)
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)