86 spree is running but not right

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cobracommander
BMX
BMX

86 spree is running but not right

Post by cobracommander »

so i got my spree running, but i need help getting it running right. it has no power and it almost dies under throttle. if i try to help it start i can get it to accelerate with the throttle cracked open a little less than 1/4 but as soon as it hits about 7mph it will try to die. do i need to set the air/fuel mix like in the service manual or is it something else? after i cleaned the carb i put the throttle and air screws back to their settings, the previous owner says it could do 35 before he put it in his shed. Also, when i started it first it had lots of white smoke, now it has only a little at idle. how much smoke is good? just enough to see?
'86 Spree parting out or for sale
76 Mustang Cobra II-Wrecked
89 Mustang Lx 2.3L
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Sounds like you may have had a bunch of oil in the crankcase that has at least partially burned off (which is not atypical with a Spree that sat for a long time). Typically there is a little smoke coming out, and it's grey. It's really easier to see if you watch somebody else take off on the bike.

I'd check the compression.

-aseigler
cobracommander
BMX
BMX

Post by cobracommander »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:Sounds like you may have had a bunch of oil in the crankcase that has at least partially burned off (which is not atypical with a Spree that sat for a long time). Typically there is a little smoke coming out, and it's grey. It's really easier to see if you watch somebody else take off on the bike.

I'd check the compression.

-aseigler
okay, so they don't really smoke that bad then? i've never had a 2 stroke before and i just don't want to blow it up. :lol: so i shouldn't worry if there is only a little bit of smoke.

about the way it runs though, you think that the muffler is full of carbon or something? i guess i'm gonna start with the muffler and just try a bunch of stuff till it runs right. any suggestions would be appreciated
89 Mustang Lx 2.3L
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

I am going through a similar situation with my 86.

I have cleaned the carb like 4-5 times. let it soak in carb dip. blew everything out with 150 PSI from the air compressor.

Mostly new parts from the dealer, Float, reeds, gaskets.

another guy on here is having the same thing.

The collective guess is a crack somewhere in the carb. I dont know, I am going to pick up another carb housing and see if that doesnt cure the problem. With yours I would recommend what everyone told me to do. CLEAN the carb again. There are several holes which need to be cleaned out, either with a strand of wire or even a sewing needle depending on which one. after I put my "Clean" carb in the dip for two days there was tons of crap that came off it....
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Those factory settings for the idle and air screw are just a starting point. Every carb runs a little bit different. With your bike idling and the engine warmed up turn your air screw{The one without the spring on it} either in or out until you hear your idle increase to the highest RPM. Let the air screw there and go back to the idle screw{The one with the spring on it} and turn it down until you hear a nice sounding idle. Your back wheel should not be turning and yet it should be high enough so it does not sound like your engine is ready to die.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

plug chop?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
cobracommander
BMX
BMX

Post by cobracommander »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:plug chop?
i'll try, but i can't drive it and it is kind of calling the shots at the moment. i tried to start it today to show my girlfriend and it did but it kept dying and i had to give it throttle, then i tried again and it just wont start now. i'm gonna decarbonize the muffler and exhaust port as soon as i can and go from there by soaking the carb and then checking the bystarter.

at the moment it won't run long enough to do a plug chop, i should have done it yesterday when it was reving good on the stand :(
89 Mustang Lx 2.3L
michaelg
Noob
Noob

Post by michaelg »

If it's running rich you will foul out a plug in no time. Pull it and see if you are getting spark. My bet is that you are not. Do the simple stuff first. It was running chances are it should run again.

If it is fouled out you will need to get another plug, which can get expensive while you are trying to get it right or if you have an air compressor go to Harbor Freight and get one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=32860

it will save you a lot of time and frustration. Cleaning the plug will get you back in business to at least get it running. I use mine like crazy while I've been trying to get my Spree running right. I bought it when my cb750 4 cyl was fouling plugs.....4 at a time gets real expensve really fast much less one at a time.

Mike
cobracommander
BMX
BMX

Post by cobracommander »

it has spark, i checked, something else is wrong. by messing with the air and throttle screws i've been able to get about 10mph out of it but it is still not running right. when i get it to idle though, if i put my finger over the air box holes it dies, does this mean it is not breathing through the filter enough?
89 Mustang Lx 2.3L
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Whats your plug insulator look like when you throttle it as high as you can without it dieing? Check that the main jet is clear.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
cobracommander
BMX
BMX

Post by cobracommander »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Whats your plug insulator look like when you throttle it as high as you can without it dieing? Check that the main jet is clear.
how long should i hold the throttle on the stand before i kill it and check the plug? i'll try it tomorrow after work when it's light out, i'm startin to get worried that i might burn it up. i'm going to get tires on wednesday and i'm gonna order a new oem air element too so i can rule that out, after i check the plug tomorrow i'm gonna pull the carb again and clean it. thanks for the help. is there anything else i should check?
89 Mustang Lx 2.3L
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

2 minutes.
cobracommander
BMX
BMX

Post by cobracommander »

i tried to do a plug chop yesterday but my scooter wouldn't stay running. It takes a good handful of kicks to get it to start and then if i get it to start it revs up and dies, i tried readjusting the throttle stop and the air screw but nothing seems to be helping, i took the spark plug out and looked at it any way and it it's a really light tan color, but it is brand new and i've only run it a total of an hour maybe, so i don't think that is gonna tell you anything.

revving up is typical of leaning out isn't it? confused though because if i try to give it gas it immediately dies. also, it acts like it's not getting enough air too, the only way it will run is if i pop the little tabs on the airbox and crack the lid a little. i'm i guess i'm gonna start from square one, reclean the carb, decarbonize the muffler and exhaust port and try again from there, i don't think i'm getting anywhere and i don't want to burn up the engine.
89 Mustang Lx 2.3L
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

My money says your exhaust is plugged up somewhere.

-aseigler
dweddle08
Noob
Noob

Post by dweddle08 »

hey guys, you sound like you've got the same issues as we did. pull the air intake boot off of the bottom of the air filter box and turn it out to the side...now drive it. if it runs like jack the bear now, you just had a plugged air filter.

oil soaking the air filter greatly reduces the suck-ability of that pipsqueak of a motor. if you feel the need to oil soak your filter, use a very light oil, and not much of it. wring that sucker out and even smash it in a rag.

also, we drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in the top of the air filter cover to increase air flow over the sponge. that sorry square hole wasn't cutting it. i think if you could go without a filter at all it'd do 5mph more. it sure revs quicker and meaner. but i don't think running gnats and bumble bees through that "big block" would do it any good.

happy motoring, kevin(david's brother & mechanic)