What size is the choke o-ring?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tcpinhead
Noob
Noob

What size is the choke o-ring?

Post by tcpinhead »

Another week, another problem.

My son (12yrs) and I have been fixing our little bike when we get time which always seems to be on weekends. Unfortunately we run into trouble just after everyone closes.

Today we finally found time to go thru the carb according Jerry's instructions. All went well. We found the problem that was causing it to die when the throttle was turned up. The jet was plugged. We were excited to say the least. We slowly put it back together but noticed the o-ring on the choke was broken and split in half.

We got ready to start it with the old o-ring and the battery was dead. Not just low on charge but totally shot. We just bought it last weekend but now it wouldn't even take a charge. Took it back and they gave us a new one. Once we charged it the engine cranked nicely but wouldn't catch. No fuel.

We went to the dealer but they didn't have any carb gasket kits in stock. I thought I would try to find one elsewhere. Does anyone know what size (thickness and diameter) we need to look for. I thought about just using a smaller diameter thicker one and stretching it but thought it would just break down quickly. I am trying to teach my son patience and this is not making it easy.

I assume that a busted o-ring will kill suction and prevent fuel flow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terral
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If it runs with the missing o-ring at all, it will run lean and possibly burn a ring after awhile. Mine wouldn't start at all with this part missing.

I don't know the dimensions. If you have a caliper and micrometer, or are really good with a scale, you should be able to measure the inner diam of the carb body, and the thickness of the old o-ring. With this, go to the hardware store and look through the selection they keep for plumbing. Nitrile o-rings used for plumbing work for fuel. You need to get the measurement correct to within the nearest 1/32".
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

O rings

Post by Jerry »

My local hardware store has drawers of various diameter and thickness of 'O' rings. Generally the same as for plumbing applications.
I have tried to replace O rings with increased thickness, but it always seems to fail. You just can't compress them. In this particular case, the O ring is not being used in gasoline so any compound would work. Neoprene is fine. Just match the diameter and thickness. If the hardware doesn't pan out, try a plumbing supply store. At between two and five cents each, you can afford to experiment on the size.
Scoot safely
tcpinhead
Noob
Noob

Post by tcpinhead »

I finally got the right thing. I just bought all of the 1/16 in sizes under .5 in diameter. One of the smaller ones fit pretty snug. We put it all back together and it didn't start up. No fuel getting to the engine. Took the carb back apart and put it back together. A little shot of carb cleaner in the cylinder and it started right up. It runs quite well. Now we have some electrical problem that is draining the battery as it runs. After a few minutes of running the battery is completely dead.

One of the turn signals doesn't flash and the headlight doesn't work. The gas gauge also doesn't seem to read correctly. The electrical system is about the last thing on this bike to go through. Then it shouldn't have any problems.

We had fun putting around the block anyway.

We were scooting safely. I got the CD today.

Thanks Jerry.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Electrical

Post by Jerry »

Now that you have the CD, the wiring should be a snap....
Good luck and keep us posted on your repairs. We all learn from the exchange of info.
Scoot safely
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

I bought a parts manual from CDMOTO.com which shows a "Gasket Set" for $8.61. (Part# 16010-gk8-003) This includes 5 gaskets used on the carb. (including the O rings).

This manual is very handy, I can get part numbers and ordering info for every part on the Spree.
FreddyT