bad problem with SPREE

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

deerman
Noob
Noob

bad problem with SPREE

Post by deerman »

ok heres the deal i got a spree that fires like crazy but when i put the plug in nothing happens................i have cleaned the carb and i have tried putting gas in the plug hole and starter fluid and nothing...................OK i work on stuff alot and i am stumped bigtime.................

like i say im getting a very hot spark and im getting gas to the plug so what in the world is going on.............

i have yahoo messenger my name is deercamboy on there,,,,,,,if someone here knows anything please post me some trouble shooting tips or holler at me on yahoo messenger................i need some serious help cause i have worked trying to get this scooter to run and i got nothing as of yet..........

any one got suggestions........
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

I could be way off, but have you checked the compression?

Also, you might give this website a check.. It is a good source for all-around spree fix-its.

http://m.1asphost.com/spreerepairing/

Good Luck.
1981 CM400 C... Former Rides: 1986 Honda NQ50
deerman
Noob
Noob

Post by deerman »

thanks for replying,,,,,,,,,,it has good compression and should work but i am so mad at it i can't see straight............yall i am new here and i got one scooter it is a yamaha QT50 and i thought i would never get it going but its running fine and someone gave me this honda spree and when i seen the spark it was slinging through the plug i thought i was in business but now im sick.,............why will it not run if its firing..........??????...........if the plug is firing then why will it not crank over even with starter fluid in it............i mean whats the deal guys.............yall think about this and i'll check in tommorrow here and see what yall think.....................its bedtime here.............makes the second night i have stayed up trying to figure this thing out.............

i got to give thanks to this site though............ about the starter.......LOL............i did'nt know the brake had to be pulled in for it to engage...................that was new to me now let me tell yall...............i am glad i came here after all.........
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If you have air, fuel, and fire, the engine has to run. It doesn't have a choice.

If it has compression over 90 PSI (100 is better, and 115 is spec) and has spark, it should run with either starter fluid blasted directly into the combustion chamber (through the spark plug hole) or gas, administered in the same manner.

Have you replaced the plug? 2 strokes will sometimes create spark outside the combustion chamber, but will get blown out inside. Try a new plug and try again. Post back with your compression numbers.

Once you get it to pop a few times, we'll help with sorting the rest.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
deerman
Noob
Noob

Post by deerman »

thanks for those tips noise guy.........i kindof thought the same thing you are thinking................man it has everything needed to run so it should have no choice to run but it won't even hit a lick......i will be back in a bit to let you know how things will go........i am gonna try a new spark plug.............be back tonight and i will let you know how the new plug will do.........only thing i ain't done is replace the plug because it seemed to be fine but heck its worth a shot to get a new one................
deerman
Noob
Noob

Post by deerman »

well i had no luck with a new spark plug either ,,,,,,,,,it will fire like heck but will not even begin to sound like it will run...............................................im getting gas to the plug, i got a hot spark and everything is just right but it will still not run...........my last thing i know to do is to pull the head off and look at the piston and see if it has a hole in it,,,,,,,,,i just dont know what else to do.............do you think that is what i need to do guys is to check the piston.......
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

before u pull the head off use a compression tester first. it could be many things. blown head gasket, rings, piston, scored cylander, warped head. it could be any. sometimes u cant tell just by looking at it.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

I would check for:

1) broken or missing flywheel key
2) Suction on the intake by placing hand over intake before carb to see if the reed valves are opening and supplying air when cranking it over
3) If those test and you have compression, spark and fuel (via starter fluid or gas in chamber then it has to fire...the laws of physics demand that
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

if u dont have a compression tester place your thumb over the spark plug hole and crank it over. if it blows your thumb off it has compression.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
deerman
Noob
Noob

Post by deerman »

well i tried that with my thumb over the hole and it sucked it in and blew it back out also.......

i don't know what the heck to do now.............i am getting ready to scrap it now............i have had other guys over here that mechanic on stuff and one guy that works on motorcycles and some scooters and he could'nt get it to fire..............

anybody here need a honda spree that will fire and do everything else that you want it to do ( except run )..........first for me to work on something that has done this crap with me,,,,,,,
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Could it be possible that your muffler is packed solid with carbon?
Take your muffler off and try starting it.
Another possibility would be your ignition timing is way off.
Replace your cdi unit.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Timing is non-adjustable. He already has spark, so he can rule out the CDI.

You need to get a real compression tester from one of you mechanic buddies and test it in a more objective fashion.

I'd check the muffler too. I had that problem with a car once; tracked it down to a plugged catalytic converter. Really frustrating.

Where is the scooter located? Maybe someone can stop by from the board.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
deerman
Noob
Noob

Post by deerman »

Haleyville, Alabama is where i am located and the scooter is in the shop behind my house.........LOL

anyone from round these parts.........

i tested the starter also and it is shot to..........it will catch the flywheel every once in a while but that won't get it with me...............right now its not looking good because i'm not sinking money into this thing cause i don't know if its gona be worth it or not.................i deal with fourwheelers and 3 wheelers mainly and if scooter parts are as high as them then i guess it will be scraped............
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

sounds like a cracked / malfunctioning reed valve. I have had the same thing happen to me before. It can really make you mad.. haha. But have you tried replacing the spark plug, just for heck's sake? maybe is has a curse on it
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

try the bystarter.. I read something about how they have a tendency to deteriorate eventually. apparently they have something that expands inside them and eventually they need replacing. This is the 'electric" choke.. which controls the amount of gas in the initial iginition fazes. I think there is a test for it in the maintenence manual.
1981 CM400 C... Former Rides: 1986 Honda NQ50