Spree Engine trouble

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zoom_boom
Noob
Noob

Spree Engine trouble

Post by zoom_boom »

Hi, newbie post!

Ok, I just recieved a Spree that was left in a barn for a couple of years. I've gotten it home and cleaned most of it up. I drained the 2 stroke oil and gas tanks, gas tank was clean. I filled both up with new fluids and installed a new spark plug.

Now to the trouble... the battery is dead and I will be ordering one shortly but when I kick start it, the engine starts runs for 2 seconds and dies with a little bit of smoke out the exhaust. It will do this consistantly so I guess it's getting fuel to start but gets cut soon after starting?

I've been reading through "spree repairing" page and the forums and will start working down the list of stuff to clean but where should I start?

Thanks for any help.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

it sounds like its getting tooo much gas, start by doing a routine carb clean. make sure ALL passages are clear, then reset the carb to stock settings via the screws. check out my website for that and other procedures
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV (link in signature)
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
zoom_boom
Noob
Noob

Post by zoom_boom »

Thanks. Your website has been the one I've been referencing, as well as the service manual.

I cleaned the carb but the kick starter decided to foul up. It seems to be grinding or slow to go back to its position. I started to rip it apart but decided it's been enough for one day! I think the kick lever got loose and the shaft scooted back into the case and caused the spring to go funky.

Thanks for your great info resource!